I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Hi Pip

is the engine in the reference photo an Avon Mk 109 or an earlier version?

Great build so far

Nick

Hi Nick,

The engine reference photo is taken from the Canberra at RAAF Point Cook In Victoria, (A84-236) which happens to be the subject matter of the model I'll be building here... (see photos)

The engine in this particular aircraft is the Rolls Royce Avon RA-7 Mk-109,  but I won't be doing the engine in wing as per photos... as I have enough on my plate as it is... just the intakes and the exhaust 

maybe someone will have the time to do this, by the time saved - using  the resin parts,  I'll be supplying in future...

My model won't be displayed in maintenance theme - more like it had just landed and crew had walked away minutes ago... on tarmac. (no bomb-bays open or speed-brakes open)

only the crew-hatch open, which helps to see into cockpit 'a little'... as per most photo references i've seen.

Pip 

OzN6JoC.jpg

Cg1oOdD.jpg      

c4STG4u.png                                                                                                                                         a3tcW4G.jpg

Edited by Piprm

Hi Pip

I did some reading up and found the first 27 Australian Canberra Mk20 aircraft had the Avon Mk1 and the rest the Avon 109. The holes for the bleed off valves are very visible on the Avon 109. The Airfix 1/48 B(I) 12 also don't have them which prompted me to ask. I was wrongly under the impression only the B(I)8 and 12 had the Avon 109

Thanks for the reply and photos.

Nick

Hi Nick,

The engine reference photo is taken from the Canberra at RAAF Point Cook In Victoria, (A84-236) which happens to be the subject matter of the model I'll be building here... (see photos)

The engine in this particular aircraft is the Rolls Royce Avon RA-7 Mk-109,  but I won't be doing the engine in wing as per photos... as I have enough on my plate as it is... just the intakes and the exhaust 

maybe someone will have the time to do this, by the time saved - using  the resin parts,  I'll be supplying in future...

My model won't be displayed in maintenance theme - more like it had just landed and crew had walked away minutes ago... on tarmac. (no bomb-bays open or speed-brakes open)

only the crew-hatch open, which helps to see into cockpit 'a little'... as per most photo references i've seen.

Pip 

OzN6JoC.jpg

Cg1oOdD.jpg      

c4STG4u.png                                                                                                                                         a3tcW4G.jpg

I live about 2 Kilometers from Point Cook RAAF museum. If you need anymore photos pm me and I can get them for you. I'm planning a visit soon to photograph the F-4E and F-111..

Cheers,

Maxim

Edited by Maxim

What a beastly aircraft...

Looking forward to more.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Gaz

Thanx Gaz,

The Beasts head is the worry for me - cockpit.. and that's next!  :wacko:

But happily - the last major phase of build.

Pip 

Edited by Piprm

Nice!

Forgive me, I did not go through the entire thread, but are you going to offer an upgrade set for others who have the vac?

Yes, that's right Ray!

Since I realise the difficulty of building this beastie...(as it is) ... and the enquiries made here earlier on - from those wanting parts or copies for their own Canberra projects ....I have decided to offer the parts I am making here (to the benefit of others) as a resin and stencil-mask accessory pack,  to help those who want to build the Canberra, but may not have the skills and/or equipment (maybe time too) to build this model... which may now be possible for those with this Vac Canberra to now include an aftermarket resin accessory parts pack - supplied by me, to help build and finish it....

Believe me, when I say that there is nothing out there to help anyone build this model, as far as aftermarket parts are concerned - you have to make everything yourselves! .....(I've looked and looked!)... unless you want to build it in 1/48th scale. (yuck)  

Yes, it will be an upgrade accessory kit set, I suppose .... which I will make available in the near-future.

Pip

Edited by Piprm

English Electric Canberra Mk.20 - WalkAround - English

http://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/english-electric-canberra-mk-20-walkaround/

EE Canberra Walkaround Photos

http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/canberra_walkaround.html

Not sure if you had these on your previous pages as Photosucket went berserk.

If you already have these workarounds then ignore.

:)

No - haven't seen them as yet - very helpful shots in there..., thanks for walk around links 

Pip

• 1 month later...

Fuselage "

OK - to continue: time to start on the fuselage and make some substantial progress.

Firstly, i need to widen the join or mating surfaces of the two fuselage halves ...

05Ou183.jpg?1

Base strip going in....

GlatkYW.jpg?1

Top 'joining' strip going on top

MuedUAF.jpg?2

Sanding each strip prior to gluing ...

pm6oj7L.jpg?1

TEUaT4a.jpg?1

SGMIVfc.jpg?1

Detail of base strip prior to top strip going in....

IAFEAri.jpg?1

Yes, my old trick of plastic welding to give the fuselage joins some added strength....

tRUwtce.jpg?1

Then, I need to reinforce the two main fuselage halves:

R2JCQuR.jpg?1

Back to my old trick of plastic welding the fuselage support framework...

Ypv5Fg5.jpg?1

BCsf5or.jpg?2

L5K1UXh.jpg?1

e9dhvXQ.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm

Tail fin:

​The I.D sheet / mold originally had a big trim tab sticking out the rear, so that had to go!  (I don't know if the latest Tigger version has the same trim-tab or not) 

A bit of reshaping is in order....

XvuqUhR.jpg?1

Build up the edge with thin styrene strips  (doesn't matter how ugly it looks) it going to be trimmed back anyways...

DXHSmWx.jpg?1

UreM13J.jpg?1

FSX6AoZ.jpg?1

Edited by Piprm