North American BC-1 Trainer (Harvard Mk1) 1/48 Vacform - Sierra Scale

SirBlueHenry

I did just an acceptable few lines of rivets - far from whats really on the upper surface. First time using the rivet tools I bought. Not bad for a quick job In this case i will use the recessed side as the upper surface but to be accurate you could use the blue side which has very nice looking raised rivets.

I glued in some plasticard to start forming a stronger base for the surface skin. Last 2 steps will be to glue in a thin layer of card to form the upper surface properly and then finally the metal skin goes on.

Not sure how i will get the bolt line fairings back on - (at the wing joints). Maybe cut them off the remaining parts that I removed - in other words the original fairings go back on as individual pieces.

Oh - and then we get to the Leading edges and wheel fairings

Glued horizontal stabiliser halves

cleaned up undercarriage legs

realised that even aligning the trailing edge of the horizontal stabs with fuselage mounting slot puts them too far back, they need to got forward about another 3-5mm so quite an adjustment to be done in that area

Cut undercarriage doors

Then I spent ages slowly trimming one side undercarriage gap on wing lower surface - this will be a very long process. I guess a week will pass before I can move on past this section.

After swearing to myself that I'd never build another vacform, i had a quick look at the other vacform i bought at the same time (sister kit to this one) being the Harvard Mk 1, and Im already wanting to build it. It doesnt contain a Centre section so id have to make one (I dont want to steal one from one of my monogram kits. So once this build is done I may just start the next one.

As you can see I spent the weekend doing some spraying and painting. Still a lot to do

After swearing to myself that I'd never build another vacform, i had a quick look at the other vacform i bought at the same time (sister kit to this one) being the Harvard Mk 1, and Im already wanting to build it. It doesnt contain a Centre section so id have to make one (I dont want to steal one from one of my monogram kits. So once this build is done I may just start the next one.

As you can see I spent the weekend doing some spraying and painting. Still a lot to do

Is the center section constant chord, like your metal one? You could carve it in wood, and heat a suitably sized piece of plastic, drape it over the mold, and when it cools, you can trim it to shape.