Anyone building Lou IV out of the new Revell P-51 kit?

John1

The whole image is skewed towards blue, that photo is poor evidence.

It would really really help for you to actually read Dana's dissertation before staunchly gripping "beliefs".

That same image ONLY lightened considerably in PhotoShop posted below. No changes made to shift or otherwise modify the colors. The PS Color Sample tool was used in the areas identified with pointers, and they have been given larger sample blocks for those that might be having trouble seeing the colors in that shot.

ln8IrhW.jpg?1

I could almost buy into your "blue shift" theory if the shot were cropped to include only Lou IV with nothing else to compare it to. But, the obviously Green paint on E2*S identifies that logic as faulty. 

Provide proof that the Green on E2*S was somehow impervious to whatever magically shifted the colors on the other 3 aircraft in that photograph, and your "belief" just might have a leg to stand on.

HTH,

D

Guest The Southern Bandit

You are all wrong, this is an old faded photograph and I can clearly tell you from an un-expertise POV, the upper surfaces were Crimson Red, the evidence is there for all to see! I can tell from the pixels :)

Runs .............................. :)

Seriously, and chiming in with my reasoning, why choose blue? ... to be different? Was that allowed?, how much influence did the pilot of Loi IV weigh with his superiors before this could be allowed? these are the questions we should be asking.

Not everyone in WW2 could say ... hey Guys, you know what ... I'm sick of green upper camo and then orders his subordinates out to paint his Aircraft upper blue in defiance of military law and jurisdiction? I really dont know?  Who does ... its all just theory's and conjecture.

This all harks back to WW1 totally different paints styles IMHO and from the glory days of the German WW1 crates that dared to be different, that dared to be provocative and then we all had very different and colourful paint schemes ... but for the most part, us creative modellers are stuck with bland old WW2 camouflage schemes, perhaps we need this debate to try justify something blue to be different and still be accurate?

Baron Von Richtoven needed a unique scheme for his exploits and he chose Red ... a very bold guy indeed, but c'mon guys, times in WW2 changed drastically, camo was needed to gain the upper edge, otherwise we would have seen the Red barons  brazen colour schemes exist into WW2 too ... a blue upper scheme for one particular Pilots ego is a bit much to swallow for me.

Some old black and white pictures do take on different hues even with other aircraft in background and lit differently, especially as the film stock gets older, in no way is there any definitive evidence either way IMHO, so please paint the kit whatever way you want.

Old colour pics take on even different hues and shades in different lighting.

Shades of green even different types of paint can look different in same light, who is to say in WW2 when supply and demand was short of everything and that includes paint, that some sort of blue green could have been slapped on to that aircraft?  I totally do not buy in WW2 that paint factory's employed Quality Control inspectors to inspect shades of paint us modellers would like to refer to, it would be get that damn paint out the door and to the factory ASAP folks ... shortcuts would have been made I'm sure.

Basically, as modellers we all like to refer to what is accurate from our peers, but often our peers are wrong and we need to do what we think is right, from our own research too.

I'm not buying Blue or Green for Loi IV and will choose a different subject altogether .., enjoy the debate though :)

Edited by The Southern Bandit

I actually don't care either way, I really don't, this has been beaten to death for years and I wasn't going to comment but I'll offer my opinion. 

Having seen that picture my whole conscious life, it's my opinion and only my opinion that they used what they could get and to my eye I don't see blue at all. I see RAF Dark Green and OD between the different shades

Guest Peterpools

As with Ron, I've seen this photo as many times. It has to be close to 70 years old and who knows how it was taken, what film and processing was used, how accurate the colors are and the list goes on and on. Just another one of those "never ending" Mustang controversies.

Peter

Hi folks!

Thanks for the interest - we're up!  Here's the link:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/showandtell7db_1.htm

Feel free to discuss gently among yourselves...

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks Dana, very interesting and appreciate your work!  Looking forward to your session at Model Classic in April - see you there!

Chris

I guess that can of worms is still open. Hard really to tell, though one would think they would use OD Green to cover the invasion stripes than blue. Who knows maybe than ran out of OD green but had to cover the stripes by a certain date and used what they had? If I were building one I learn towards the lesser of the two evils and go with OD Green.

It would really really help for you to actually read Dana's dissertation before staunchly gripping "beliefs".

That same image ONLY lightened considerably in PhotoShop posted below. No changes made to shift or otherwise modify the colors. The PS Color Sample tool was used in the areas identified with pointers, and they have been given larger sample blocks for those that might be having trouble seeing the colors in that shot.

I could almost buy into your "blue shift" theory if the shot were cropped to include only Lou IV with nothing else to compare it to. But, the obviously Green paint on E2*S identifies that logic as faulty. 

Provide proof that the Green on E2*S was somehow impervious to whatever magically shifted the colors on the other 3 aircraft in that photograph, and your "belief" just might have a leg to stand on.

HTH,

D

D, i did read the article, I don't believe there was any logical reason to paint that aircraft blue, and my eye does not interpret it as blue, so you believe that it's blue, I will paint mine green, and neither one of us will loose any asleep at night. My not believing it's blue is not a personal attack on anyone, it's just my belief.

It was green, common sense says it was green, we just dont have the whole picture, but if you want it to be Blue, it can be Blue ,,,, But it was really green.

Blue Mustang outlaw cowboy, that would have made real history .... nah, it was Green, paint it Blue if you like and then argue what shade of Blue ... but it was Green,. it really was :)

The Blue Baron, LOL totally ludicrous

It was green, common sense says it was green, we just dont have the whole picture, but if you want it to be Blue, it can be Blue ,,,, But it was really green.

Blue Mustang outlaw cowboy, that would have made real history .... nah, it was Green, paint it Blue if you like and then argue what shade of Blue ... but it was Green,. it really was :)

The Blue Baron, LOL totally ludicrous

Although I completely trust Danas assertion that it was what it was, and as tough to believe, if you read the article there was blue paint delivered to them in the field, and if the below photo is accurate and is in fact an original pic I have absolutely NO explanation for why it does in fact look blue, with very obvious green on the plane in the same original picture directly behind it, as this would eliminate Lou IV as being green because of color shift, or colors being augmented after the fact.

ln8IrhW.jpg?1

In the end, Id say paint it what ever color one likes, as there is not any single way to prove 100% that it was blue OR green. However as silly as it seems to have painted this blue, if this is an original un-retouched color pic, (especially next to a very obviously green plane) Id have to go with Danas expert assessment of blue.