Special Hobby 1:32 Airacobra AH574 - First Tricycle Deck Landing

TorbenD

Thx for all your kind comments... really appreciated. I'm having a ball (re)learning loads as I go along.

Shaka, good spot! The stick looks a fraction short too so will revisit when I get back to the pit properly.

Busy with real life this week but brake wires/plumbing and painting the main wells next...

Cheers,

Torben

Hi Hubert, you're right... damn there's some sharp eye's out there... I love it! :D 

The whole well is pretty shallow due to scale thickness of the wings, and I made the girder so visually it looked more or less in proportion to that shallower depth, allowing for the fact that I was also feeding cables and pipes through the lightening holes. I may revisit but suspect my aesthetic heart will win over my engineer's head on this occasion -  I feel it's probably the right compromise.

Cheers,

Torben

Evenin' all

Just a small move on with some paint thrown at the main wells. Litterally!! I had a bad experience trying to airbrush Vallejo's Gloss varnish before adding an umber wash which put me back a bit - not sure what I did wrong but the final effect was matt and grainy (any ideas anyone what went wrong? Probably too thick?)...  which I then tried to partially strip back with refined meths - result a bit of a sticky/patchy goo :doh:  1 step forward - three back at one point!

I think I managed to rescue it enough but as you can see under harsh lights and large magnification it's still a bit grainy where I didn't fully strip and repaint. I repainted certain areas 3-4 times - The tiny rivets are drawn on with silver pencil as everything else I tried came up over scale. Frustrating but still learning - at least I seems to sit quite well with the all-round well (ab)used wheel bays I was after although I had to also completely strip off any over spray on the rest of the wings which I hadn't masked. 

1%20DSC00568-XL.jpg

1%20DSC00565-XL.jpg

1%20DSC00576-XL.jpg

1%20DSC00574-L.jpg

I also quickly fabricated some radiator screens which seemed to be simple linear mesh with thin central support - mostly hidden by the flaps but hey-ho... I first painted some thin white plastic card black and once dry scraped it in one direction with a micro saw blade set up against a steel rule to keep it straight. After this I put down a couple of heavy umber washes to colour up. 

1%20DSC00580-XL.jpg

Looking forward to getting back in the pit when I next get a mo.

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Looking good, Torben. I'm amazed at how much deeper those ventral ramps are on this kit, compared to the Kitty Hawk one.

Kev

Thx, Kev - I guess maybe a compromise to fit in all that lovely internal detail the KH kit has. 

Although the SH is more of a limited run kit with relative lack of location pins all the dry-fitting/fettling that that entails, I for one am glad I'm not having to tackle all those tricky panel fits on your build... hats off to you on that front!

Cheers,

Torben

• 2 weeks later...

This is a superb build Torben - making notes for when I tackle mine!

I recon Sutton Harness for a British operated airframe - but that's educated guess rather than based on empirical data!

Iain