Why my builds have come to a grinding halt.

Gerhard

I was so motivated to get the hobby up and going again, joined a few group builds as well, BUT, life had different plans. In between getting things ready for my daughters past wedding on 07/05/2017, I still managed to fight with the 1/48 Sabre on a on and off basis. 

Then came the 31st March. My brother in law attempted suicide. This shook the foundations of our family. He is my wife's rock since her dad passed a number of years ago. In ICU for 5 weeks, things were touch and go and we dreaded every phone call received. 

Onto 07/05/2017. My daughters wedding, what a brilliant occasion that was. Of course I was sad giving my daughter away, but also glad for her. Tuesday morning 09/05/2017 I get a phone call from my wife. Her mother was taken up in hospital at 03:00 am that morning. We were very confused, I mean, fit as a fiddle just 2 days ago. She rushed through to be at her bedside. The same afternoon I go visit after work. 

I could see the old lady was in pain, but it was being managed and she looked ok, a bit uncomfortable, but ok. Wife says she will stay for the night to be there for her if needed and I head off home. Mom in law went in for a minor op that morning, and into ICU afterward. Come 18:00 on 10/05/2017, I get a call. I better rush to hospital to pay my last respects. At 19:47 she let out her last breath.

The funeral is today. How I managed to just balance, work and these life events is beyond me. I just want it all to go back to normal again. A lot of sad days ahead, my mom in law was my wife's everything, so tough times ahead still.

Phew, I needed to vent and put this down in writing. If the mods feel it is out of place, you may delete this post. At least I feel a bit better now.

Cheers

Gerhard

I was so motivated to get the hobby up and going again, joined a few group builds as well, BUT, life had different plans. In between getting things ready for my daughters past wedding on 07/05/2017, I still managed to fight with the 1/48 Sabre on a on and off basis. 

Then came the 31st March. My brother in law attempted suicide. This shook the foundations of our family. He is my wife's rock since her dad passed a number of years ago. In ICU for 5 weeks, things were touch and go and we dreaded every phone call received. 

Onto 07/05/2017. My daughters wedding, what a brilliant occasion that was. Of course I was sad giving my daughter away, but also glad for her. Tuesday morning 09/05/2017 I get a phone call from my wife. Her mother was taken up in hospital at 03:00 am that morning. We were very confused, I mean, fit as a fiddle just 2 days ago. She rushed through to be at her bedside. The same afternoon I go visit after work. 

I could see the old lady was in pain, but it was being managed and she looked ok, a bit uncomfortable, but ok. Wife says she will stay for the night to be there for her if needed and I head off home. Mom in law went in for a minor op that morning, and into ICU afterward. Come 18:00 on 10/05/2017, I get a call. I better rush to hospital to pay my last respects. At 19:47 she let out her last breath.

The funeral is today. How I managed to just balance, work and these life events is beyond me. I just want it all to go back to normal again. A lot of sad days ahead, my mom in law was my wife's everything, so tough times ahead still.

Phew, I needed to vent and put this down in writing. If the mods feel it is out of place, you may delete this post. At least I feel a bit better now.

Cheers

Gerhard

Hi Gerhard.

Very sorry to learn of all this mate.

i get it. The only thing to do is keep getting up every morning. "Normal" will now be different. 

5 weeks in ICU? ICU's a tough place to be.

I always remembered this line, and it helped.

"lift up your hearts, all will come right."

Winston Churchill.

Good luck, mate. :)

Sorry to hear about this, my condolences. Yes, life does get in the way.................my father passed the the month before last with dementia, and it was a devastating time that consumed the whole family, and all other lighter aspects of life get put on hold. I can see where your coming from.

Chin up, and know there will hopefully come a day where the modeling MoJo will be back in full force, and modeling will just begin again out of the blue. 

Guest The Southern Bandit

So sorry to hear this Gerhard ... and I thought I'd had a tough year health wise.

Very sorry to hear this, losing someone is very very tough and takes good time to deal with, my thoughts are with you and your wife who was lucky enough to be there with her as she passed away.

In many ways the funeral should give closure though and the emotional healing for you and wife will begin, it wont be easy, might take time, but trust me my friend, been there and it will happen ... life continues and we never forget those we lost, just remember with fond memory's ... the sadness and grief will dissipate.

Hope your Brother in law gets best possible support too.

Nothing wrong with your venting here, this is one of the best mature and excellently moderated sites I've ever visited on the internet, we all feel your pain and grief and like to share in wishing things improve in the future.

All the best for the future Gerhard and family, get back to the scale modelling when you are ready.

So sorry for your loss, Gerhard.  What an up/down emotional time for you and your family. I give you these verses in hopes they will comfort and give you peace that the Lord only can.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you. When you cross rivers, you will not drown. When you walk through fire, you will not be burned, nor will the flames hurt you. Isaiah 43:2

In Christ we can come before God with feedom and without fear. We can do this through faith in Christ. Eph. 3:12

He heals the broken hearted and bandages their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Give all your worries to him, because  he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:7

God is our protection and our strength. He always helps in times of trouble. Psalm 46:1

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, sadness, crying, or pain, because all the old ways are gone.

Rev. 21:4

Hang in there Gerhard, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.