F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Guest Clunkmeister

Doing a describe on the B-36 might cause some to think about taking a long dive off a low cliff. That's a serious chunk of gold go throw down on a kit to find out uh of the detail needs redoing. The DC-3 will be a sure kit on my bench and hang this on that fiberglass will not a happy man make.

From the pics of their various masters, it looks like they develop PE panels, which they glue to the parts to produce the skin surface before molding them.

Jiri's answer may mean that they cannot unglue the PE sheet without destroying the master...

Not really satisfactory admittedly... I hope that, now that they now the pitfall, they will avoid it on future releases.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Thanks gents!

Yes, its a HUGE disappointment, especially on a $300 + kit. It is what it is, so if I want a detailed accurate Tigercat in 32nd, this is it. Ive got a couple ideas worked out on the wing, as I may or may not have to re-scribe the whole thing................Ill look at it more closely after dinner tonight. 

I also got a coat of primer on all of the interior fuselage parts, that are now ready for detailing and paint, including attaching the gun tubes to the nose wheel well. Im now set to start super-detailing the nose well, as I have several good pics of all the wiring and hoses in nose well, including some resto, and some un-restored pics. 

Cheers till your older! 

Thanks to all those guys who have sent me reference material in the past few weeks!!!

I have NOT stopped working on the F7F, even while I have been dabbling with my Extra 330.

Since the fuselage interior contains the whole of the cockpit, wheel well detail, canon tubes and but loads of wiring, the fuselage sides are going to be awhile coming together.
I've been working on smoothing out the sidewalls of the nose well where the canon tubes will go. I've got them in their final resting place and glued in now, and I now have the nose well/canon assembly as well as both interiors of the fuselage halves in primer.
Pics later, as I figured shots of stuff you guys had already seen only in primer wouldn't be the most exciting thing.
The next step is to decide how to proceed on the superdetailing/wiring.
I think I am probably going to paint the base wheel well color along with the black sections of the cockpit.

Once those two colors are down on the nose well and cockpit, I will lay in some lead wiring and some EZ Line bundles, along with some hoses and other junk.

Pics soon!

Not sure how I missed your starting the kit, Brian, but I'm glad you have. Sadly, I'm not at all surprised about the various errors and no desire for HPH to correct them. Other companies delay releases regularly to correct sometimes very minor issues. HPH on the other hand... I doubt they could give two flying s***s about anything beyond the dollars

Thanks guys. Ive been a bit down about my picture taking lately, as I have my brand new Nikon to play with, but the lens I bought will be great for outdoors trips and what not, but is exactly opposite of what I need for close in wide angle macro stuff.

Im going to contact a camera shop this week about renting a 10 - 24 wide angle combo lens and/or a 18 - 55 wide angle depending on what they have for rent and prices. Once that happens, I can take a few more good pics of the build along with at least two RFI threads I have neglected......

Not sure how I missed your starting the kit, Brian, but I'm glad you have. Sadly, I'm not at all surprised about the various errors and no desire for HPH to correct them. Other companies delay releases regularly to correct sometimes very minor issues. HPH on the other hand... I doubt they could give two flying s***s about anything beyond the dollars

Haha, thanks Mike. Im not sure about their business practices overall, but it was quite a disappointing response. I have several other of their kits, and they are of subjects I really like, so they too will get built, even if in the long distant future.  I think their La-7 will be quite a bit easier than the F7F, and their Me-410 will probably be a bear too. 

Cheers! 

I'm so disappointed to hear about the problems with this kit. I was seriously considering purchasing one but I have no desire to give out this much of my hard earned and then have a fight on my hands.

This won't stop me from following your progress.

Best of luck!

I'm so disappointed to hear about the problems with this kit. I was seriously considering purchasing one but I have no desire to give out this much of my hard earned and then have a fight on my hands.

This won't stop me from following your progress.

Best of luck!

Pretty much the way I feel Chris. Its a really big disappointment, but its my favorite airframe pretty much of all time, in the only scale I really work in, so looks like a fight it is!   :lol: 

I really didn't sign up for any re-scribing, but I guess that is what its going to take. 

Sorry to hear about the wing issue not being resolved, Brian.  Not enjoying your pain but I am interested to see how you handle the filling and re-scribing step, especially what material you use to fill the existing panel lines.  Do most of you guys use a DSLR for your in-progress shots?  I use a point-n-shoot for mine.  Canon S100 that I can shoot in RAW.  It's much more convenient to use around the work bench.  I bust out the DSLR when it comes time for the finished shots.