Revell F-15C what does it need?

Jay Pare

I think it's a nice kit of a 1980s era Eagle. New ACES II seat, probably new nozzles without turkey feathers if you're modelling a USAF subject.

The SAC gear might work but probably offers nothing over the arguably stronger kit parts.

Tony

This is one kit....probably the only one...that will benefit from the SAC gear. (Though G-Factor would be even better.) The mains, in particular, are quite weak. I've built 5 or 6 of these kits over the last decade or two, and the mains failed on most of them. I replaced the mains on several with SAC gear. The oldest is about 5 years old now, and is holding up fine, no sagging. Yet, anyway. 

jp

This is one kit....probably the only one...that will benefit from the SAC gear. (Though G-Factor would be even better.) The mains, in particular, are quite weak. I've built 5 or 6 of these kits over the last decade or two, and the mains failed on most of them. I replaced the mains on several with SAC gear. The oldest is about 5 years old now, and is holding up fine, no sagging. Yet, anyway.

jp

I bow to your wisdom jp. I last built the Revell back in the 1980s but always was apt to brick sh**house or over-engineer kit parts in those days.

Tony

Thanks, fellas.

Still waiting for the doom report from Thiery Laurent! ;)

At least I am starting in the right direction. I got a great deal on it and I have always loved Revell and ESCI kits. Kind of a sucker that way I built it once and I remember the air intake fit into the fuse being fiddly.

Edited by Jay Pare

A sound kit, not more difficult to build than the Tamiya one. Cockpit needs improvements for sure. G-factor legs are indeed required. One thing I do not really like is the panel lines: there are too many ones, some are fantasy ones and others...are missing. Gun fumes exhaust vent is misplaced. Correcting that is not funny. Engine exhausts also need to be replaced. Missiles and pylons are not very fine either... Wheels are just acceptable. Out of my memory, such points are the most significant ones.

Hth.

Thierry

Thanks, fellas.

Still waiting for the doom report from Thiery Laurent! ;)

At least I am starting in the right direction. I got a great deal on it and I have always loved Revell and ESCI kits. Kind of a sucker that way I built it once and I remember the air intake fit into the fuse being fiddly.

I don't believe he's done one yet, for either the Revell or Tamiya kits.

The panel  lines are pretty wide and some inaccurate, I sanded all surfaces down to minimize the width. Everything stated by all  is correct,  for an old kit, not too bad. I remember some of the C kits came with a D/E upper fuselage, this made the canopy sit wrong. I recently did a D as a JASDF Aggressor, was ok how it turned out.

Don

The problem of the fit of the Tamiya kit is essentially one single issue that results in a terrible problem to solve: the assembly instructions do not tell you to glue first the upper fuselage with the wings! If you do that you are solving most of that major problem. As Tamiya instructions are generally excellent, a lot of people had that unfortunate issue of very bad seam that asks for ages to be solved properly.

Dave Whalen is the Eagle Keeper with all the detailed notes.

He pops up here on occasion and is the person to talk to as he knows every access panel, louvre or vent and what was what compared to the kits. His perspectives on the Tamiya C are frighteningly useful.

Tony

The problem of the fit of the Tamiya kit is essentially one single issue that results in a terrible problem to solve: the assembly instructions do not tell you to glue first the upper fuselage with the wings! If you do that you are solving most of that major problem. As Tamiya instructions are generally excellent, a lot of people had that unfortunate issue of very bad seam that asks for ages to be solved properly.

Wow, great to know Thierry. 

I have the Tamiya kit, and a bookoo butt load of AM for the kit, but did not know that. Not unlike a lot of kits (some like the PCM Hurricanes I can think of off the top of my head) that end up with huge fuselage to wing gaps if one doesn't glue the upper wings to the fuse before putting the lower wing halves on. But that one step can cure ills like that very well if you know about them before closing the wings and/or fuselage up. 

Thanks! 

Thanks for the reminder Thierry.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10002279/70/6

Tony

Wow, great to know Thierry. 

I have the Tamiya kit, and a bookoo butt load of AM for the kit, but did not know that. Not unlike a lot of kits (some like the PCM Hurricanes I can think of off the top of my head) that end up with huge fuselage to wing gaps if one doesn't glue the upper wings to the fuse before putting the lower wing halves on. But that one step can cure ills like that very well if you know about them before closing the wings and/or fuselage up. 

Thanks! 

I'm pretty partial to the Eagle myself (no doubt due to seeing them flying around here for years), and am hoping to snatch a Tamiya kit before this year is done.