Rules of the Road

LSP_Kevin

Come on guys, there are plenty of opportunities to have a military aircraft with civil scheme and registration number, if you do not want to have a "pure" civil aircraft like a glider or a Revell Pup.

Some examples from the top of my mind :

The Spitfire and the Sea Fury had civilian registered examples, not wearing a warbird camo

Just looking at Red Bull aircrafts, you will find a P-38, a T-6, an Alpha-jet, a MiG-17, a L-39, a glass-nosed B-25, etc.

Starfighters are used by the NASA, as well as a company aptly named Starfighters

The French used B-17 Gs, with civil regs, for their map survey work for the Institut Géographique National

You have the obvious racers : P-51s (without going to the extreme mods of Strega or Red Baron), P-39, P-63, T-6, Tony LeViers's P-38

Helos : I suspect most helos kitted can have a civilian scheme. Even the Huskie was used for firefighting and lumber work (there is even a Red Bull UH-1 Cobra ;) )

Fire watch OV-10s

Tiger Moths by the dozens

There is a Swedish civilian Arado 196, with the decals supplied in 1/32 by Kagero in their book about the Arado

There were some Supermarine Walruses used after the world for whaling activities

I know of at least two civilian Mosquitoes, one CF-FZG was a Canadian-built B-30, i.e. basically a Mk IV, the other a Mk Vi converted to racer in Australia. And then there were those operated by this Canadian Company I can't remember the name of right now ...

And this is just what sprang to my mind in 5 minutes. Admittedly, you will find it harder to produce a civil Me-109. But plenty others than LW aircrafts were thus recycled to civilian use. So a bit of searching wil get you past the apparent hurdle, without trying to bend the rules by looking at para-military organisations.

Please, I am sure others will add to my list.

Hubert

Hubert,

Thanks for that list! 

Spartan Air Services in Canada had many Mosquitos in beautiful civilian markings, plus P-38s and I think a Lanc too!

The last Hurricane flew many years for Hawker in civil markings too, actually serving as chase plane for the Harrier  (if my memory is correct...).

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois

Kevin, Would a C47 trumpeter on the 1/48 scale be eligible? I know it does not meet the requirement to be 1/35 and up, but it certainly gives a large plane model.

Thanks, Paulo.

Sorry but no,  we are very strict on keeping the site 1/35 or larger as it is Large Scale Planes not just large planes. 

Ron

Count me in with something. Ive got these decals for a MKIX Spitfire:

http://www.rammodels.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/71_34/products_id/207

Ive also got a Revell Cub in the stash as well as a Revell EC145 and a couple of Revells glider kits. Once i know what im building ill start a thread.

Edited by ollieholmes

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok guys, we're into the last few hours of this Group Build. Thanks all for participating.  We were perhaps a little light on for completions, but there was certainly a lot of work put into some models in progress, so if you'd like your in progress thread moved, please contact one of the LSP_ mods.