Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, Joe.

Thank you, K.

Thank you, Martinn. Sweet Deams!!

With today being a Federal Holiday here in the States, not that I'm a Federal Employee, I did not have to go into work. Instead, I went into the basement.

While I worked on all of this stuff I held everything in place on upside down tape taped to my desk. I also cut the parts on tape and stored them on tape. It really helped to keep all of these bits organized.

DSCN6479.jpg

Latches. I punched some discs, cut some strip, punched the end of the strip to match the diameter of the disc, matched them up, weld glued them together, and sanded them smooth. Dropped in some detail.

DSCN6477.jpg

Made the locking mechanism. Fits into a 3mm long space. What an effort. 10 parts for each mechanism. I measured the space and cut a window out of a Post-It and set it onto upside down tape. If everything fit into the window then it would fit into the space on the part. It's not 100% accurate but I can live with it for now. Who knows in a week? Filed the shady side of the bulkhead opening with a tapered file bit to minimize wall depth. Replaced the stainless steel front bulkhead with .010 sheet and punched a disc to represent a rubber grommet. I'll drill a hole in it for the wiring. New bulkhead will accept CA (to glue down the wiring) better than stainless.

DSCN6478.jpg

The rod is for the door on the other wing. The reason it doesn't fit this one. Oh well.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Sweet! Love all the small details that are adding up in a big way and I just can't wait to add some of them to my Mustang build.

:speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Peter

Thank you all for looking in and your compliments.

While studying and comparing wiring imagery to decide on a plan of action I happened to notice something entirely different.

DSCN6482.jpg

I wondered why the Tamiya part is blank toward the rear. I measured its depth with strip. It is .020 deep. A .020 floor will not allow the machine guns to sit properly. But a .010 floor will. So I matched up strip with the opening, sanded the opening bottom a bit to help the fit, located the strip, pressed the part down (which snapped into place), scribed the strip at the trailing edge, snapped off the remainder, sanded the edge smooth, and glued it in. Voila! A floor.

The trailing edge has a rod of some sort that passes thru the gun bay. Once I deciphered what I was looking at in the Tamiya part I realized the trailing detail represents that rod, for it has no return. If it did it would represent a structural element. I shimmed the part off of the floor with .015 strip. At least, I think it is .015.

DSCN6480.jpg

With the structural elements. Some elements would interfere with the gun, so I trimmed them. You can see the pencil mark showing where I needed to trim. To fit the far floor I needed to chisel a bit off of the bottom of the vertical element. The far floor is about .010 too narrow, but it is hidden by an in place gun and, it is underneath the top wing. It is difficult to see. I made the structural element by gluing a .010 x .010 strip to a .010 x .020 strip.

DSCN6481.jpg

With the guns in place. Some elements are a little short, but I don't think it looks terrible.

DSCN6484.jpg

A little blurry, but the rod is back there.

DSCN6485.jpg

Some structure.

DSCN6483.jpg

Put together.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Thank you, Kevin. I too can't wait to paint the gun bays. But that is a long way off. I'd like to get all of the scratchbuilding out of the way then I can focus on painting rather than jumping back and forth.

Thank you, Tomek. You are very kind.

Maru, Thank you very much. But it gets just a teeny weeny better than what I had done. Which made a difference in a very big way. At least to me.

DSCN6488.jpg

I didn't like the earlier results I had done for the inner fastener. The horizontal runs were too long, causing them to be too bulky. So I trimmed .5mm where I could. These are the parts. The two left 'D' shaped items are .005 strip sanded and cut to shape. So they would be the same length I cut a strip from .005 sheet and folded the strip in half. This way when I sanded the end then cut them they would be the same relative shape. Least of all they were the same length. Which was important to me. Everything else is oversized and will be trimmed. Thinnest strip is .010 x .010. Middle strip is .010 x .020. Widest strip is .015 x .030. Large rod is .030 half rod. Small rod is .010.

DSCN6489.jpg

Here they are assembled, for the most part.

DSCN6490.jpg

Here they are trimmed. When I sand the right piece it will be the proper shape.

DSCN6491.jpg

Here everything is assembled. I made the image a bit dark so the inner shadow would show.

DSCN6487.jpg

Here are the new parts in place. That .5mm trim on each side made a big difference. Now one can see the rod, which couldn't be seen in the earlier rendition.

Currently I'm reworking the detail on the latches.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

WOW! Fantastic work. If I keep trying to work your details into to my, I'll be one happy camper. Looking great!

Peter

:speak_cool: :speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Thank you very much, Peter.

I was able to get in a little work this weekend between mending the fence and moving the furniture in preparation to having the walls painted.

DSCN6496.jpg

I didn't like how the wiring interrupted the organizational beauty of the side wall in my earlier attempt so I redid the wiring and added some bits. I filed a groove on the backside so the wiring would fit into the groove allowing the sidewall to fit flush onto the fuselage. To make the knob on the oxygen dial I trimmed some .010 x .020 strip for the handle, sanded a .010 rod to make a half rod, and glued, sanded, and trimmed it to shape to make the center piece.

DSCN6492.jpg

I noticed the back wall in a Detail & Scale book and dropped in a .010 x .155(?) strip, sanding it to shape. There is enough space between the gun bay part and landing flap back wall to do so.

DSCN6493.jpg

Cut some strip from .005 sheet and made the structural elements. Added grommets.

DSCN6494.jpg

In place.

DSCN6497.jpg

Wiring. You'll notice there is solder and twisted wire. I failed to thread a loom of individual wires so I went with solder. Then I decided to twist the wire to see if that would work. I couldn't find a picture showing wire termini so I made them up.

DSCN6500.jpg

A walk-around. Inboard and back wall.

DSCN6501.jpg

Outboard and back wall.

DSCN6502.jpg

Forward.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

The detailing in the gun bays looks fantastic and I can't wait to see how they looked painted and weathered.

Awesome work!

:thumbsup:

Peter