Tamiya 1:48 Mosquito PRMk.IV - WIP

Rick K

Guest Peterpools

Rick

Geez .. fantastic detail work on the Mossie .. she is looking simply beautiful. Love the details - super work.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Instead of using decals for the inside canopy frame I opted for a different solution.

Mossie_CanopyFrame.02.jpg

After making a form out of MilliPut from an extra canopy I used .30 rod to construct inside canopy frame.  After spot glue I took a hair dryer to form the rod.

Mossie_CanopyFrame.01.jpg

Mossie_CanopyFrame.03.jpg

Trimmed and painted.  Sorry for crummy out of focus image.

I lost a bunch of images from the interior.  Dammit! This is best I have.

Mossie_Various.jpg

Mossie_Pit.01.jpg

Mossie_Pit.02.jpg

Mossie_Pit.03.jpg

Canopy rods?? OMG That is AWESOME!!!

Love the mottling done as well - expert and perfectly performed.  Are you sure you don't have a Mossie in your back yard you are checking this against?  Looks amazing can't wait to see it in person.  Are you bringing it to the next meeting?

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

I'm unfamiliar with the marbling process but I like the results. What's the technique?

Details again...........are tops.

Marbeling is a by product (requirement) of black basing.  Black basing works for me and I really like the results I can achieve.  There still may be pre-shading in my future.  However, the black basing approach is clever and I'm having fun improving my air brush skill sets every time I use this method.

Here is video link from Doogs' Models:  Doogs' Black Basing Video

First time marbeling results when I worked on my FW190.

FW190A8.04.jpg

FW190A8.02.jpg

FW190A8_Mistel.Final.02.jpg

FW190A8_Mistel.Final.05.jpg

FW190A8_Mistel.Final.06.jpg

Marbeling is a by product (requirement) of black basing.  Black basing works for me and I really like the results I can achieve.  There still may be pre-shading in my future.  However, the black basing approach is clever and I'm having fun improving my air brush skill sets every time I use this method.

Here is video link from Doogs' Models:  Doogs' Black Basing Video

First time marbeling results when I worked on my FW190.

I'm going to watch that video sometime today and thanks for taking the time to get back to me on it. I accidentally discovered black basing on my own when working with my automotive engines to bring out alot of the shadows and crevices in the builds. I won't photo bomb your thread but I'll merely post a link to show you what I'm talking about : http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=66897&page=5

That marbling is what I was referring to though and hope to learn the process in that video. Thanks again and this build of yours here ROCKS!!!! 

Rick your build could not have come at a better time, also doing SH Tempest V but happy with the proportions so pressing ahead. But also have the Mossie FB VI Tamiya in 1/48 in the stash. Probably going to the 48th before I tackle the 32nd so I may borrow some of your ideas..........

Mark,

Your 1/48 scale Tamiya Mosquito conversion to a Mk IV is another incredible build. The canopy frame really is an outstanding piece of engineering that will add a lot to the finished model. 

I've been a devote of Black Basing since I 1st saw the technique via Doog's video. 

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Rick your build could not have come at a better time, also doing SH Tempest V but happy with the proportions so pressing ahead. But also have the Mossie FB VI Tamiya in 1/48 in the stash. Probably going to the 48th before I tackle the 32nd so I may borrow some of your ideas..........

I have the 1/32 TAM Mossie and it might be awhile before I crack that kit open.  This 1/48 build was to be a quick build and it turned into a whole lot more.  Some finicky assembly points with canopy, landing grear and wing tips provided me plenty of drama.

Rick

You absolutely have the touch - black basing looks spot on.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Yo!  Thanks Peter!

Mark,

Your 1/48 scale Tamiya Mosquito conversion to a Mk IV is another incredible build. The canopy frame really is an outstanding piece of engineering that will add a lot to the finished model. 

I've been a devote of Black Basing since I 1st saw the technique via Doog's video. 

Joel

Thanks Joel.

Mossie is looking beautiful

Really like the marbling! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

Teresa  :D 

Thanks Teresa!

Brake Work

Mossie.Brakelines.01.jpg

Using wire from an old electronic device I fashoned the brake lines using Tamiya's 1/32 instruction sheet as a reference.   A little slice of Waspi Stretch Tubing for attach points.

Mossie.Brakelines.02.jpg

CA glue secures the wire at brake drum and attach point.

Mossie.ID_Lights.01.jpg

Identification lights are MV Products lenses.  I carefully drilled out the engraved lights out of the fuselage with a #44 drill bit.

Mossie.ID_Lights.02.jpg

Using epoxy I carefully pace the lenses in the drilled holes.  A little squirrly to position.  The results are worth the angst.

Mossie.ID_Lights.03.jpg

Mossie.ID_Lights.04.jpg

So close to wrapping this project up.  I want this off my bench.