Kinetic Hawk 100

BloorwestSiR

While I waited for the glue on the belts to dry, I attached the flap acuators to the lower wing. One thing I noticed is that the mounting pins for the parts don't let them mount flush. You can see a small gap between the acuator and the wing surface.

003-1.jpg

But once you cut off the pins, the fit improves and the gap disappears:

004.jpg

This is also true of the flaps themselves where they attach to the acuators

006-1.jpg

I have decided to mount the wingtip Sidewinder rails. Hopefully this is accurate for an RCAF aircraft. This is where I ran into the worst parts in the kit. There are some very prominent sink marks on the rails.

010-1.jpg

There are smaller sink marks on the other sides but those ones mostly sanded out. These will need a bit more work I think.

The Sidewinders thenselves are a bit soft on their details...

013-1.jpg

...so I am going to use some from a Tamiya F-4EJ kit:

014-1.jpg

Looking good Carl! I'd like to see some more progress on that Spitfire too bud!

Kev

Hi Kev,

I`ve been working on the Seafire as well but sort of hit a wall. I`m trying to figure out how to do the instrument faces on the IP. Once I get that sorted, I can get the cockpit in and the wings on.

So hopefully I can try something there soon.

Carl

On a separate note, I started the Revell Hawk kit tonight :doh:

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Nice progress on the Hawk. Sure looks aas if you put in you time filling seams and sanding them out. Looking forward to see how the seats are shaping up.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Speed brake insides are same colour as the landing gear bays

2008-08-23YMJ20042_zps05f684d4.jpg

Wing tip launchers are the same type and FS 36375 colour as the ones used on the CF-18. LAU-7 Missile launchers fitted on most non USAF fighters, so someone may have spares from a project or two they could let you have. All Hawks based in Cold Lake are fitted with the rails, and almost always carry an instrumentaion pod on one side, and a DATM-9 on the other to balance it out. I have never seen a Canadian Hawk without the centerline tank installed. I chose to post this one, as it is one of the decal options that came with your kit

2004-07-18YOD0223_zps5b5968ea.jpg

Edited by ian maw

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm really getting into this build. I think part of that is not having all the AM to throw at it. It's been a great treat that way.

Ian, thanks for posting those pics, they're really helpful. It's nice seeing the real version of what I'm building.

I forgot to take pics of the seat so will try to remember next time I'm over at my work space.

Carl

Speed brake insides are same colour as the landing gear bays

2008-08-23YMJ20042_zps05f684d4.jpg

Wing tip launchers are the same type and FS 36375 colour as the ones used on the CF-18. LAU-7 Missile launchers fitted on most non USAF fighters, so someone may have spares from a project or two they could let you have. All Hawks based in Cold Lake are fitted with the rails, and almost always carry an instrumentaion pod on one side, and a DATM-9 on the other to balance it out. I have never seen a Canadian Hawk without the centerline tank installed. I chose to post this one, as it is one of the decal options that came with your kit

2004-07-18YOD0223_zps5b5968ea.jpg

Great pictures Ian - I have been away on business so was unable to respond with the information that you required, so I am glad that Ian chimed in. The drawing set calls up gloss light aircraft grey to BS 381C - 627 for this area (and any other internal areas that require painting this colour).

Regards

Derek