Slovakian Focke-Wulf Fw 189A-1

JamesHatch

James,

Nicely done on the wing flaring. The few times I've worked with resin parts, they do sand down rather quickly with a lot less effort then I was used to.

Joel

The more I follow these resin builds, the more I'm convinced that my skill levels aren't nearly up to the task of successfully completing even a relatively simple kit. Much to learn before I attempt one.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

This last week or two has been slow due to the nature of this build. Most work has been done with 24hr epoxy. I have cleaned up a few other parts for future assembly, such as undercarriage and bombs etc. but I but post those yet or things will get confusing. The current state of play here shows the basic airframe complete, and the brass PE straps added to the booms. The forward upper ones hide the boom to wing joint nicely. Also added is the lower rear part for the crew nacelle. A small shim of plasticard was added here to create a solid underside edge into the area where the landing flaps will fit.

Control surfaces are now fixed with 0.9mm copper wire and CA.

My next post will show the engines installed and cockpit floor sections in situ. Things are now really starting to roll!

mar_1.jpg

mar2_1.jpg

Edited by JamesHatch

• 3 weeks later...

Just to prove this isn't another HpH Fw 189 that has bit the dust (and there are many online!), here's a recent shot. 

I'm currently manually masking both the outside AND inside of all glazed areas, and it is taking ages. The masks were awful, and all undersize. I ended up doing this with strips of tape and infilling the centres. Very disappointed with the masks....the only real turd in this kit.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-17%20at%2020.15.

Edited by JamesHatch

James,

The Pit looks incredible. Love those belts and harnesses. Are you going to weather them to any degree so they blend in with the Pit a little more?

Joel

A little Klear and some oil will be added before I fit the numerous canopy parts. This is still a WIP at the moment. I also need to fit the pedal straps and a couple of hydraulic lines to the actuators. 

Fantastic work so far James. You're making it all look far too easy.

Too bad about the window masks! I've been masking both inside and out on my canopies for quite a while now but on the '189, that's a real job and a half. Thank goodness the corners of the windows aren't very radiused.

Cheers,

Wolf