Ki-84 Type 4 "Frank"

DaveJ

'Bout time I threw down here and got something going. Time will tell if I can break my recent streak of failed efforts, but this one has me feeling motivated. We shall see.

No pics of anything yet. The real work will begin in the next few days. Of course it's the Hasegawa kit and I'll be selectively using bits from the BigEd PE set.

Wish me luck!

Ahh yes. Once more into the fray. Just hoping I can finish a model this time around, but I'm off for vacation all week and not going anywhere so hopefully I can get a lot done.

Seems the big discussion with ol' Frank here is what color to do the interiors. I chose NMF for no other reason than I can't find a good representation of the green, and the aotake is worse. Whether it'll be right for the bird I'm building is moot. Or as some say, that's a moo point. Like cows can debate anything.... :lol:

Tonight was spent doing the basic assembly of the cockpit and getting a base coat of aluminum on it. Gotta say, I think it looks weird. I've never done a NMF cockpit before so that's probably it, but I have to wonder just how many of these birds fell out of the sky because the pilot got bedazzled by the cockpit? :P I chose Tamiya paints here for the simplicity. Much easier to paint acryl over acryl in my book. I accidentally grabbed the bottle of chrome silver instead of flat aluminum so I had to go over it twice. :P Have another cocktail, Dave, you're on vacation! Even after I went back over everything it still looks rather sparkly to me. I hope after the details get painted and a wash applied it'll tone down somewhat.

Piccies!

The obligatory Box Shot:

FrankBox.jpg

Sparkly Interior:

Silver2.jpg

And the start of the Eduard seat. WAY better than the kit seat! Lots of bendy bits but well worth it....

Seat2.jpg

I'm using the BigEd set from Eduard as I mentioned at the top. They've decided that the Nakajima green is the color to use so I can't use all of it on the interior. That's OK since I always pick and choose which PE bits I'm gonna use anyway.

Okey Dokey then....

Good to see you make a start here Dave (I hope your vacation's going well!). I still haven't started my entry for the GB, if it makes you feel any better...

Nice work by the way. I've had some good results using Tamiya Smoke as a wash for NM finishes, so it's worth a try when the time comes. It's a gloss paint though, so it won't help in that department.

Kev

Oooh yeah, this is going to be great. Good to see ya got some siesta time off to un-wind Dave! Always good to have time to lay around,...scratch yerself, look off up and to the left vacantly, and build some models! :lol: I was going to do my interior in NMF too, until I wandered off into making up my own 'green' colors for kicks 'n giggles. I think it's gonna look awesome, especially as the pit opening is so small it'll reflect a lot of available light in there for viewing all those cool PE pieces.

Can't wait to see more progress pics dude! You'll like this kit. Nice burly looking 2000hp Japanese AC that flew with the best of em. Got any ideas for Sentai/camo schemes yet? Looking forward to seeing what ya come up with! Later, Russ

A little progress report....

I added some color to the cockpit to break up the sparkly-ness of the whole thing. For anyone following and curious about some of that, everything I did was either stolen errr learned from Big Matt's build or simply made up. I went mostly by the LGTM method. Then I took Kevin's advice and went over the whole thing with a liberal coat of Tamiya Smoke. Really did do wonders! There are still PE bits to add plus a wash and some dry-brushing but I'm starting to 'see' it now. That's enough for me. :rolleyes:

SmokeOne.jpg

SmokeTwo.jpg

And I started on the PE for the IP. There are still some tiny bits to add but they'll wait until just before I close everything up to minimize the chance for the Carpet Monster to get into the act.

EyePeeOne.jpg

Can't really tell in the pic but Micro Kristal Klear was added to the dials for a glass effect. You can tell the difference in person.

More soon!