Kitty Hawk P-39 sprue photos, decals, etc.

Bill Cross

Does anyone know what the mix was on P-39s for red stars in blue roundels v. straight red stars? For aesthetic reasons I'd rather build the latter, but I want the kit to be accurate.

I also love those Guards shields with the flag, I had some stamps as a kid with them. Are they accurate for combat aircraft or straight propaganda?

Does anyone know what the mix was on P-39s for red stars in blue roundels v. straight red stars? For aesthetic reasons I'd rather build the latter, but I want the kit to be accurate.

I also love those Guards shields with the flag, I had some stamps as a kid with them. Are they accurate for combat aircraft or straight propaganda?

I've seen Yak's, Lavochkins, Il-2's as well as Airacobras with the guards emblem, but I was under the impression they were more for impressing the folks at home, than anything worn in theater. I'm certainly no expert though, so some careful reading up might be in order, when and if the time comes.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

this is my first post here at this LSM foru. I have found in this thread questions and some interest about Soviet Cobras. I spent time with collecting (research?) info about VVS Cobras and making their profiles. Every profile was subject of the discussion in several forums, so I believe they have reasonable informative value.

Info about VVS Cobras and my profiles can be seen at http://www.mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lendlease/p-39/p-39.html

There is no strict rule regarding blue/green/white disc under the red star, it alwas required case-by-case approach, more info at the link above.

Here only some examples - they all are from the same unit - 16 guard air fighter regiment and roughly the same time period:

1. Sukhov:

Pict01.jpg

2. Rechkalov:

Pict01t.jpg

3. Pokryshkin:

131121%20Bell%20P-39_Pokryshkin%20no%201

I hope it could help anybody willing to build Cobra in the colors in which they have gained the most glory.

Regards,

66misos