Mitsubishi J8M1

Tried a 'trainer yellow' scheme...and I definitely won't do this. Next is a gray scheme, a primer red or blue scheme, and maybe a NMF too. Won't bore ya'll with any more of these screenshots,....1/2 time intermission is over. Just thought ya'll would like to see what I've been cooking over in Russville.

I'd really like to find some kind of 'stylized frog' marking,....cuz this thing bumps itself in the butt everytime it lands! ;) Dunno, still looking at arrows/dragons/and different kinds of lightening bolts. More pics as things progress, eh?! Later, Russ

post-4413-1241954963.jpg

post-4413-1241954975.jpg

post-4413-1241954983.jpg

Nice start! Great graphics! What would have been the production version of the Shusei would not have the generator spinner on the nose. Just a pointed tip. Also the top of the tail as well as the wingtips were rounded. Check your drawing. The canopy had some major framing going on but you may be able to just mask of the existing Me 163 canopy. I used to produce a conversion for this when I had Horizon/Accu-Scale. Looking forward to seeing the final on this little rocket!

Dan

Hey, thanks Erwin! :rolleyes: This started out as a 'quickie' build, and I was going to slap-dash my way thru it and fudge on a lot of details,....but it has now morphed into a full-on project. The more I look at this gizmo, the more I see to change. I like that. :)

Bwhahahah! Ya beat me to it Dan! Good eye, and I'm glad to see somebody following along who knows a thing or two about this AC. I'm going to enlarge the plans i have to 1/32nd tomorrow, and look at this in WAY more detail. Also noticed the rear of the canopy has a way different slant, and the rear 1/4 windows are shaped different. Pitot is much smaller...and various panel lines are different.(amongst other small details)

Already started changing the profiles of the tail and wings last night. Here's some examples to show the differences in outline. Looks more 'bat-like'...if that's possible?....than it did before! Cool. Thinking of using a stylized bat insignia for the squadron markings now. :(

post-4413-1242000826.jpg

Still fiddling with the outlines, but I think this is pretty close. Just built a new home-made vacuform box, and acquired my own 'kitchen blow-torch' ala Mr. Butler....so I think this is the perfect project to try it out on. I think the canopy is slightly more bulbous in front, and if I alter the rear profile slant I'll have to blow another. Hmmmm, more pics as things progress.

post-4413-1242001296.jpg

Guest Rigor

man Russ, you just rip throuth these :D and i would have to say i like your first scheme the best

can't wait to see this one :D

Howdy All, been blasting thru this like a 'herd uh turtles' tonight...and thought ya'll might like to see the latest? :unsure:

Found lots more little what-nots to work on after looking at what little there is reference-wise on the web.(thank goodness,...I don't want to get THAT detailed! :P ) Okay, here I was 2 nights ago using my 'farm boy fix' scribing template for the wing fillets. Did a bit more scribing on the wings later, but this is where I wuz.

post-4413-1242119323.jpg

Here's my usual crappy photography of the undersides, showing my filled in and shortened spoilers & flaps. Got that swoopy new fillet scribing already done here and penciled in to show it better. Not having it primered yet let's ya'll see what I had to fill. Still got more work to do here, but this is basically it.

post-4413-1242119397.jpg

After squinting and 'guesstimating' at the canopy profile, I decided to do some more mods. Whoohoo! :unsure: This is a pic of the right fuse side showing how the pit looks installed OOB. Ain't gonna happen, as the J8M1 doesn't have any 'bulkhead stuff behind the 1/4 glass, and it's shaped wrong. Time for 'Mr. Dremel', and a gnarly spiked bit. heh heh.

post-4413-1242119669.jpg

Started out by making a 'deck' behind the pilots bulkhead, and whittling down the kit supplied rear armor.(left side is modded) I'll be adding stringers and 2 compressed air bottles (I think they're for charging the guns? :unsure: ) in this area.

post-4413-1242120128.jpg

After cutting out everything behind the rear 1/4 glass, I opened it up to a more scale looking opening. Also re-profiled the edge toward the canopy to be more slanted, or raked forward. Check it out.

post-4413-1242120142.jpg

Lemme give ya'll a better comparison of my new 'hacked shaped window', and how it compares with what comes in the kit.

post-4413-1242120542.jpg

Here's another view. I've got both sides matching now, and I've started re-profiling the area in front of the skid on the undersides....amongst other things. That'll have to wait until I post next time. Oh yeah, I've decided to go with a 'stylized frog marking' with flames coming outta it's butt. Hey, if the Germans can have a Baron Von Munchberg riding on a cannon-ball.....and a flea with flames coming outta it's tail I can have a frog, eh?! :P Of course, that'll make this build a JAAF J-200, and not a IJN J8M1 (same plane, different service branch) cuz the navy didn't have stylized tail markings? Hmmmm.

More pics as things progress. :unsure:

post-4413-1242120557.jpg