• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

So I'm in Tucson, 2000 miles from the town of 7000 people in the middle of nowhere in Appalachia southwest Virginia where I was in school. Today I was working with an anesthesiologist for the first time, and someone had told me he was from Virginia. He's from Abingdon, the little town where I have been living, and... (get this) is friends with my former landlord!

Never piss anyone off.... :)
  • Rick Griewski, LSP_Matt, harvey and 2 others like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#2 marauderdriver

marauderdriver

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:07 AM

Mine is insanely small in a weird way (go figure) and model  related.

My oldest brother (13 yrs) started my interest in building when I was YOUNG.

Mom said I would watch for hours and not a peep.

Jim, went Air Force (like Dad) and to Ubon AB Thailand from Oct 68-Oct 69

Flying GIB in 497th TFS Night Owl F-4D.

10 years ago I met and got to know "Bondo Phil" Brandt from Texas

On a post on another sight, Phil made mention of his younger brother

Lance was a Night Owl, antenna UP, I ask and  Phil said.... "YES..." shot down

Easter 69, rescued, and ultimately sent home to heal from a leg and tree meeting.

I ask Jim if he remembered Lance and told me he was home on Leave over Easter

69 with us in La, and Lance was gone when he returned to Ubon.

They hadn't spoken in 55 years until I sent Lance's email to Jim.

I found Jims Crew Chief from when he was stationed as 3rd TFS Commander in 1984-86

Clark AB Philippines ,on a Facebook  Model Auction site.

All due to a big brother passing down his love of models

Dad built Stick& Paper before he joined the USAAF

Told ya it is Weird!

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

bddb4135-4c76-4763-a001-43cedb78b2fa.jpgGonna get back to this ...One of These Days

#3 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:00 AM

An architect in our firm went to Hawaii on vacation a few years ago. Eating dinner in a restaurant, he turns around and right behind him is sitting the contractor he was in a meeting with two days previous back home. They see each other once a week and speak by phone or email many times a day, and neither of them knew the other was going on vacation, let alone to Hawaii. As if that weren't odd enough, it happened to them again the following year!

Nothing so strange has happened to me, but I do have an odd habit of running into people I know in odd places away from home. It happens often enough that my kids make bets on whether I will see a friend when we travel. Sitting in Disneyland (1200 miles from home) waiting for the train a few years back, my kids had just finished saying that I would probably see someone I know, and a guy I worked with and grew up next door to walks up and sits down next to me. I said "hi, Bruce!", he said "hi, Tim", like it was as normal as could be. My kids sat there with their mouths open. They still talk about that.

Edited by BiggTim, 21 April 2017 - 03:09 AM.

• marauderdriver likes this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly)

On deck: Not certain.

Completed in 2015: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#4 Finn

Finn

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:23 AM

This was in 1983, I was stationed in Baden West Germany and was headed home for the Xmas holidays.  I got a KLM flight from Frankfurt to Amsterdam to catch a connecting flight to Toronto and then home. The plane in Frankfurt was delayed in leaving and when it got to Amsterdam, someone had forgotten to tell them that the connecting flight was delayed and they had departed on time. I was told I could wait to see if there any available seats later on that day but being the holiday season there wasn’t so the airline put me up in a hotel for the night. The next day when I went to the airport I was told all seats were full, however they said they could fly me to Chicago and from there to Toronto. So I went to the windy city and waited for my flight on American Airlines later on that evening. I looked up at the Departures board and saw there was an American flight to Toronto via Detroit in less than an hour so I went to the AA counter and asked if I could get on that flight. Sure no problem. I got on that flight, sat in my seat and we got to Detroit, just a quick turnaround, didn't have get off but a few moments later the Captain came on the PA saying they were waiting for a flight from Denver with some more connecting passengers to come in, at least they waited. Anyway to make a long story short, one of the people on the Denver flight that came on board was a buddy of mine who had been on the same trades course as me back in ’75. He was in Denver on a computer course in preparation for the CF-18 about to come into Canadian service and he too was on his way home for the holidays. I got home, one day and four countries, Germany, Holland, United States and Canada, later.

Jari 

• BiggTim and marauderdriver like this

#5 Joe66

Joe66

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:08 AM

Way back when I was in Army boot camp, Ft Benning, GA.....a bunch of us are talking and the usual questions about where people are from and so on, and this kid says " I'm from Santa Clara, CA". I chime in...I was born in Santa Clara...he says " yeah, me too, born in Kaiser Hospital on March 7th, 1966" .....WHAT ! ....I was born in Kaiser on March 7th !! ....holy crap, we had been "roomies" 18 years prior, in a hospital in CA and there we were ..."roomies" again in the barracks down in GA....talk about a small world !

Joe
"The quality remains, long after the price is forgotten"
- Sir Walter Raleigh

#6 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

Steps off the Herc in Decimomannu Sardinia to be met by two USAF guys I had been on detachment with and got totally wrecked previously, total rerun occurs.

8 months later unloading the beer out of the minibus in Jever Northern Germany, hear's a Ohh Noooo not you lot again.... more quaffing of far to much ale.... and drunken goodbyes 2 weeks later....

roll on 6 months and in Southern Germany... same guys again... more Ohhh Noooos and beers passed around... and so it went on for three years lol, I bet they were glad to see us return to the UK.

Edited by TonyT, 21 April 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#7 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

Was working on the Puma OCU where young trainee Loadmaster comes through.  Moves to the Chinook OCU and same guys comes through that years later.. He wins  QGM medal in Falklands war.. posted to Germany and on exercise with Hospital as simulated casualty, same guy in Chinook transports me to hospital and we sit chat for a while catching up on flight.... Posted to UK 3 years later onto VC10 airliners and same guy posted onto them too. everytime we meet we catch up... he gets commissioned and serves on, I leave RAF, sadly he passes away recently, so not in any rush to meet up again :(

Edited by TonyT, 21 April 2017 - 10:44 AM.

#8 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:36 AM

Was working on the Puma OCU where young trainee Loadmaster comes through. Moves to the Chinook OCU and same guys comes through that years later.. He wins QGM medal in Falklands war.. posted to Germany and on exercise with Hospital as simulated casualty, same guy in Chinook transports me to hospital and we sit chat for a while catching up on flight.... Posted to UK 3 years later onto VC10 airliners and same guy posted onto them too. everytime we meet we catch up... he gets commissioned and serves on, I leave RAF, sadly he passes away recently, so not in any rush to meet up again :(

I guess your next meeting could be a very happy, or very unhappy one, depending on what you believe, eh?
  • marauderdriver likes this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly)

On deck: Not certain.

Completed in 2015: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#9 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

Antarctica 1995/96... after almost 7 months away from home - four horny and lonely dudes (2 crews and 2 birds) depart for the trip back home... three weeks later, I see the same guys on our leap-frog fuel cashing trips up to the Geographic and Magnetic North Poles.... three months later - landing in Qanaq Greenland - went for coffee with the same guys before heading back to Resolute Bay... 6 months later, during a ferry flight from Calgary to Maldives - arrive Maldives to see the same jokers again who are about to ferry out another bird back to Calgary!! Five years after that - sitting at the sushi bar in the Vancouver Airport all four of us coincidentally meet up and each of us working for new and different employers (airlines).... yes, in civilian and military aviation: the world is very small!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users