Rhino A-6A/E INTRUDER SEAMLESS INTAKE SET for TRUMPETER

Kagemusha

Love his stuff delivers super duper fast and is very prompt in answering emails....unlike other big boys....

I have no problem, none what so ever, to promote this lad! He's a god send in my book....

Don't agree don't buy it...gives me more time to get some more for the stash :evil_laugh:

Cheers

Fred

Regardless of what may/may not have occurred with previous intakes sets, the original point of the thread was regarding his A-6 intakes.

No one that I've heard makes these previously so no accusation can be made about ripping other's work off for these. I ordered the A-6 intakes immediately from Rhino on hearing about them (per post office tracking the box is out for delivery today).

I'm usual OCD about details, especially on the A-6, but in this case I'd still be satisfied even if the step isn't in the intake that was discussed back earlier in the thread. If it's smooth the whole way to the compressor, I know not everyone will agree with me, but that's not significant enough (for me) to get concerned with since the effect wouldn't be obvious unless you look straight down the intake and you know that there should be a step there to begin with and then care enough about that detail. I'll accept that smooth compromise as long as the exterior portion of the intake matches the kit contours so it doesn't take much sanding to smooth/fair in.

The compressor faces alone are improvement over the hokey kit versions.

I have to agree with Ziggyfoos; I have built the intakes from the kit and in the end did get a nice result from a lot of work, but having single piece parts even if no lip or join is in there I will still be happy if they look as good as the pics in the auction and fit OK...

Also happy to see more aftermarket for the big A-6...

Regardless of what may/may not have occurred with previous intakes sets, the original point of the thread was regarding his A-6 intakes.

No one that I've heard makes these previously so no accusation can be made about ripping other's work off for these. I ordered the A-6 intakes immediately from Rhino.... 

The compressor faces alone are improvement over the hokey kit versions.

Amen to that. I don't understand what the Trumpeter etch was trying to achieve.

Looking closer at the excellent Rhino parts (there appear to be more pics on Andy's eBay link than previously) there does appear to be a slight lip after all.

Tony

Not being interested in the A-6 or its intakes, I haven't been following this thread, so I haven't noticed that things have drifted badly, and into some bad areas. I've just finished cleaning up this thread, and removed whatever content I could find that didn't directly pertain to Rhino's A-6 intake set. Apologies to those who've had their posts edited or removed. Nothing personal! Just trying to keep things on track. Please let's keep the remainder of this thread on topic.

Kev

Got mine in yesterday. First off, I'm happy with them.

They're obviously the kit parts cleaned up (nicely). As talked about, there is definitely no lip/transition between the intake ducting and the engine intake (the constant diameter section) like there should be. It's a smooth intake all the way to the compressor. Like I said before, I'm ok with this compromise, others won't be. Can always use a razor saw and cut off the straight tube section and "fix" it that way.

Compressor/vane face is 100x better than the kit parts with the PE folding crap.

The front end of the intake I think looks great. It's smooth everywhere. You can see in the photos below the kit part is made up of several parts, and even though the pics are whitewashed, there is panel/rivet detail on the Rhino parts at the top of the intake where the parts join up and appears to match the kit panel/rivet nicely. Instructions are on nice-glossy paper with easy to understand instructions. I haven't attempted to cut my kit to see how well they fit but I see no reason why they wouldn't considering they're based on the kit parts (may need some tweaking if there is resin shrinkage?). If you plan to show the boarding ladders down you'll need to be careful during the cutting, if not, then hack away.

I don't have a good photo setup so pardon the non-pro pics but here are the intake sets (the kit parts here aren't cleaned up or cemented, they've been removed from sprues and then stuck together as-is so the fit looks awful here, just shown for comparison).

rhino1.jpg

rhino2.jpg

rhino3.jpg

rhino4.jpg

rhino5.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

I bought some Rhino Navy Phantom inlets on eBay which feature lovely compressor face (and bellmouth ring) details.

As for the A-7 correction possibilities Alistair of Studio 27 is looking at the concept, with clear resin canopy parts. Totally new approach by all accounts, if he does it, so it's filling a market void with new parts.

TBH, Chris Wilson / Zactomodels seems to have gone into hibernation. Not getting canopies done to continue his now OOP but formerly best-selling A-7 set is indicative of loss of interest ~ ditto with the Su-27 canopy set, which I missed.

Back to A-6s, just remember there very often *is* a lip where the J52 turbofan engine gets stuffed into the back of the Intruder's inlet.

I'm not convinced that seamless is accurate, but I do like the compressor face - the A-6 kit etched brass disc blades IMHO look naff.

Tony

No, Chris hasn't lost interest.. family matters have taken precedence, which he openly stated earlier this year, besides, the A-7 set was due to his contractor stepping out,combined with the former reason he has a life...

Good news and I hope all is well.

Steve, the Rhino inlets look even better than imagined and are going on my want list. Thanks for posting the pics - the instructions are nice and clear too.

Gary's formally announced his stand-alone Shrike and STD ARM missile sets on LSP.

Tony