Next GB: Colour my World Blue

BradG

Mostly Racers, I do not have the Lukgraph Blue Goose Boeing F3-B but I did find the Esdale Supermarine S4 Schnieder Racer. Now there was a beautiful blue airplane. I bet that this will beat out the MiG-21MF.

So.... When does the build start? I will get busy with the prerequisite photos (and choosing a new site for my photos).

Rick

I think you meant S5, Rick, as the S4 was ... white ... and kitted by Marsh Models. I am now officially jealous, as the Essdale kits have been eluding me for years. Marsh have produced replacement subjects (plus Brach Models for the MC-72) but the S5 was the one I was after.

Looking forward to see you tackle this one :popcorn: and compare it to the more recent Marsh Models that TorbenD is doing here.

Hubert

I believe that colour is Oxford Blue.  Xtracolor X023 or Humbrol HU104.

Jens

Thanks Jens - I had seen that mentioned, but seem to remember Oxford Blue as being a lighter shade than that. I've also switched from Enamels to Acrylics so have been looking at Mr Color's Gloss Cobalt Blue and a few others. I'll take the advice from Lee White earlier and do comparisons with the Insignia blue of the roundel before I make my final choice. As the final airframe is going to be practically pristine (it is a 'demonstrator' freshly painted in a retro style, after all) I'm going to have to take a good deal of care with this paint job, I fear...

Cheers

Kev

Thanks Hubert. I have corrected my post.

Aside... The kit has been in my stash since IPMS Nationals USA, 2001. The price was not in my comfort zone. Charlie Metz was standing next to me and said, "buy it now" three times. I obeyed the man with the kit collection beyond belief that the time. I have the Italian ac too. Not as good. It is made from now yellow-ish resin and is a rough casting. Much work that one will be.

Rick

Thanks Hubert. I have corrected my post.

Aside... The kit has been in my stash since IPMS Nationals USA, 2001. The price was not in my comfort zone. Charlie Metz was standing next to me and said, "buy it now" three times. I obeyed the man with the kit collection beyond belief that the time. I have the Italian ac too. Not as good. It is made from now yellow-ish resin and is a rough casting. Much work that one will be.

Rick

Ooh goodie!! - She's a beautiful seaplane Rick and I'd be really interested to compare and contrast with my Aerotech version should you commit to the Essdale kit - more than happy to share reference too should you need any.

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Torben, Hubert:

Your enthusiasm with a few others has convinced me to do this kit for the GB. The aircraft is beautiful. After a quick review of the kit anticipate a straight forward build. It has a farly low parts count and not much in the cockpit. Resin kits however have a tendancy to be a bit block like with challenged surface detail (e.g., heavy panel lines and scale thickness issues). We shall see and if I go a little AMS on this it will be to refine the surfaces and sheet metal interfaces. The radiators look a bit too large/out of scale.

Now for the first of a bunch of decisions. The blue has to be the correct blue. I will need a build fixture. Stay tuned for the start of the build.

Rick

Now for the first of a bunch of decisions. The blue has to be the correct blue. I will need a build fixture. Stay tuned for the start of the build.

Rick

Sweet!

FYI - Aerotech provides a small paint swatch of the blue which I assume they must have matched from somewhere - perhaps the surviving S6? When I get nearer the paint stage I'll see if there is a good match out there... 

Torben

It's marginal, but I think we'll let it through.

Kev

Thanks for that Kevin.  I did think it was rather marginal myself, and after a trip up the loft hatch, returned with a Hasegawa F-5E to do three shades of blue with a little help from Furball Decals:

http://www.makettinfo.hu/forum/image.php?img_url=upload%2F201101%2F40ab_f-5e_159882_topgun_mar_77.jpg#image_213038

Jens

As much as I'd like to do the F-2 I posted earlier, and the fact that Revell F-16s are as cheap as chips, I really don't want to add to my already seam-bursting stash. So, with that in mind, I poked around and found a kit that I already have, that would fit the bill.... I've settled on this thing, whose camouflage is anything but subtle-

XhKUcy.jpg

I'll need sunglasses when I paint it.

As much as I'd like to do the F-2 I posted earlier, and the fact that Revell F-16s are as cheap as chips, I really don't want to add to my already seam-bursting stash. So, with that in mind, I poked around and found a kit that I already have, that would fit the bill.... I've settled on this thing, whose camouflage is anything but subtle-

XhKUcy.jpg

I'll need sunglasses when I paint it.

you are going to have fun with the fitter!