• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

I've got the airbrushes working - needed a Broomwade 1/4 inch adaptor to fit my splitter.

It just works! 2-3 minutes of continuous spraying before the motor kicks in. Measured the noise, it's around 43db. Very quiet indeed. The air is dry and without any pulses. Can work 2 airbrushes together with no loss of pressure.

I'm very pleased indeed with this, especially at £75. If you see one on EBay, buy it. Don't be afraid of the age, mines at least 10 years old and still going strong.
20170501_172056_zps2aukp5vo.jpg
  • Shaka HI likes this

"If thou behold bijoux that looketh, mayhap, both wondrous and goodly in truck for doit, thou should turneth thy cheek, as aught will cometh of thine actions, surety a USB cable, for chicanery is afoot"

#32 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

Some more pics. The oil is bang in the middle of the gauge & the motor runs quietly and with no heat at all, so I'm not going to change the oil - there seems no need and, as it'll cost me £40, it's a simple decision to make. 

My only concern is that I've got a lot hanging off the air outlet - couple of filters plus the splitter - so I may look to give it some support.

This will probably involve some old books placed horizontally underneath the second filter.

I still can't get over the weight of this thing. I guess the tank must be pretty thick to hold 120psi, it feels bulletproof. The casing on the motor wouldn't feel out of place on an Abrams tank. It makes my old compressor (which has always worked just fine) look like a kids toy.

I will also have a 3 litre oil-less compressor for sale soon. Works perfectly.....

20170501_172221_zpsxsyefry4.jpg

20170501_171958_zpsmzws6tok.jpg

20170501_171946_zpslxf5jmzt.jpg

• Peterpools and Fooesboy like this

"If thou behold bijoux that looketh, mayhap, both wondrous and goodly in truck for doit, thou should turneth thy cheek, as aught will cometh of thine actions, surety a USB cable, for chicanery is afoot"

#33 BloorwestSiR

BloorwestSiR

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Dean, that looks like a great set up.

I took a look for Jun Air and it seems comparable to the Silentaire in price. I haven't found any secondhand yet but will keep looking.

Carl

#34 Joe66

Joe66

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

Quiet ?...well...I have a Craftsman with a 40 gal tank...not really that quiet, but it is mounted down in the engine compartment well aft, and I have a manifold on the line ( runs to the filter and separator first ) a hose that comes into the cabin for my airbrush.... I can barely hear it from there, and it seldom runs, as it takes a while to use enough air for it to kick on.

You could do the same by setting one up in the garage and plumbing it to your work space. That's what I had when I lived in a house, but that was with a 220v, 8 hp, 80 gal tank that was hard line plumbed throughout the garage. I just had a regulated line that was plumbed to my hobby room, which had another set of filters and regulator with a manifold to run 4 airbrush lines.

Joe
"The quality remains, long after the price is forgotten"
- Sir Walter Raleigh

#35 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:13 PM

Have any of you looked at the Dental Air Compressors?  This one caught my eye on Ebay - silent - 30L Tank.  < $300.  Chinese made.  I should probably ask my dentist who they use for their compressors.  Love the Jun Airs, but at $500+ a little outside my budget!

http://www.ebay.com/...r/112373544946?

Edited by CANicoll, 01 June 2017 - 11:14 PM.

#36 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

Jun-Airs come up regularly on EBay in the UK for between £75-£150. Of course, they also come up at £500+, but that's just blind optimism at play.

For instance, this one has been advertised for a few months now, 25 litres for £125 or offer. Been used as an auto door opener (!)

http://www.ebay.co.u...ZkAAOSwtfhYn14q

s-l300.jpg

That's just an utter bargain. Slight problem, it's in Portsmouth & he won't ship, for obvious reasons. These things weigh a ton, I can just about life mine for any length of time & that's only a 15 litre jobbie.

• CANicoll likes this

#37 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

I think I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay as the US prices are VERY much higher than in the UK.  Supply and demand maybe?

#38 Juggernut

Juggernut

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

I'm thinking about an Iwata Power Jet compressor but need to know if it comes with adapters for use with a Paasche airbrush (I'm not buying a new airbrush, only a compressor).  I need a quiet compressor since I now live in an apartment and am not going to be getting a house anytime in the near future.  I've gotta get back to the bench but the compressor I currently have it way too loud to use in an apartment (Craftsman pancake compressor I purchased in 1995).  I gotta have a tank and looking at the one Peter uses, the tank just isn't big enough for my needs so I came across this guy.

http://www.iwata-med...sors/power-jet/

#39 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

I ended up buying a badger fTC-910 at Nationals.  Its very quiet (I'm in an apartment too) and has a tank so the compressor isn't running full time.

Good luck!  Let me know what you end up with and if you like it or not.

Chris

#40 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,736 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

Since my older compresseur died, i use this one :

http://www.mecafer.c...encieux-9l.html

It has a 9L tank so it doesnt start every 2 mintues when you're painting, it goes up to 8 bar (more than allowed by my airbrushes), it's pretty silent (about the sound of a pretty noisy old fridge, but i think it's still quite silent for a compressor) and it's not outrageously expensive : about 400€ in french DIY shops.

I dont think it's exported to the US, but there should be similar ones. (it's about the same type than the Jun-air)

Edited by Zero77, 04 August 2017 - 03:20 PM.

Following the big Photobucket rip-off attempt, all my pictures on the forum cannot display anymore. I try to reupload the RFI pictures, but i'm not sure i'd have enough time and energy to reupload the pictures of the WIP threads. If you're interested in a specific subject and want me to reupload some pictures, just let me know. :) 

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#41 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Since my older compresseur died, i use this one :

http://www.mecafer.c...encieux-9l.html

It has a 9L tank so it doesnt start every 2 mintues when you're painting, it goes up to 8 bar (more than allowed by my airbrushes), it's pretty silent (about the sound of a pretty noisy old fridge, but i think it's still quite silent for a compressor) and it's not outrageously expensive : about 400€ in french DIY shops.

I dont think it's exported to the US, but there should be similar ones. (it's about the same type than the Jun-air)

That looks awfully like a Jun Air. On castors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users