• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Shaka HI

Shaka HI

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

Sorry to hear, Ron. I found some dude in the hallway of my home about 10 years ago...heard something and I investigated. Thankfully he was more afraid of me than I was of him (probably cause I was still half-asleep) and he bolted out of the house, but it never felt the same for me (and especially my mom).

Sold the house and moved the family out to a new home. It wasn't the impetus, but it definitely sped me out of that neighborhood.

• LSP_Typhoonattack and MARU5137 like this

#62 imatt88

imatt88

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:12 PM

Dude that sucks! I'm glad everyone is ok
  • MARU5137 likes this

bth_470_maiden0.jpg

Only THE greatest rock band in the world

#63 ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:32 PM

Wow, I can't believe they came back.

I heard on the radio someone was spotted in my neighborhood testing doors.

I've never been broken into but know a fair number of people who have. I have dogs, I truly think that helps. I also have an alarm system.

I used to have a sports car that was occasionally broken into in the 80s. I gave up on trying to stop the crooks from breaking in and damaging my car so I just left the doors unlocked. But I did leave a mouse trap in the glove compartment with a very sharp razor blade on the mechanism. Did it ever leave a lot of blood. :)

The mouse trap was only successful once but was well worth the effort.

Edited by ScoobyDoo, 25 September 2017 - 03:54 AM.

• LSP_Matt, LSP_Typhoonattack, TonyT and 1 other like this

#64 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,696 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

Ooh ScoobyDoo... did it work... the modified mousetrap....

Love that.

:rofl:

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#65 DeanKB

DeanKB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

Apparently, dogs are the number one repellant for burglars. Not big, nasty doberman types, but little, yakky types that bark like hell when the door is knocked. 

Leaving the telly on, with the volume quite loud - via a timer - is also good. Same with lights.

A former burglar said that heavy doors  - metal lined, ideally - with deadlocks always put him off, and he'd then go look for an easier target. 

Ultimately, I think good quality home insurance is the best anybody can do, because it's not possible to 100% guarantee burglars won't strike. The little scumbags.

• LSP_Typhoonattack likes this

"First, shalt thou take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt thou count to three - no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shall thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that then thou shalt proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number is reached, then lobbeth thou thy Holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen"

#66 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

My bet is they saw the cars, took the keys but left them as they had nowhere to stash them, they have probably sorted out a customer now and hence they tried again.

Can you not fit something like this in front of the doors

https://www.ultrasec...2560-p1049.html

You want to plug the garage door into the mains ;)

http://www.cars.co.z...ovations/42044/

Edited by TonyT, 25 September 2017 - 12:13 PM.

• The Southern Bandit likes this

#67 Martinnfb

Martinnfb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,576 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

Ron, I am sorry to hear, especially after we moved into our new place. I have a spot in my garage, It's a mess but relatively safe , protected by my autistic dog. Nobody messes with autistic dog.

Also if you need any help  I am available with my tools etc. Just let me know

M.

In progress:   D-13 ; Ta-152V7 ; Mig-29 ; EMIL ; P-39 Аэрокобра ; Avia S-199 ; K-14 what if

Done:            F-8 F-8 Wurger Party ; D-9 ; D-15; Ta-152E ; P-40E 

#68 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

A friend years ago had a fantastic car security device, he had a household plug socket under the carpet that the ignition was wired through, and he had a household plug he used to carry with him that was wired to match, on getting in his car he used to push the plug through three tiny holes in the carpet into the socket, thus making the ignition circuit so the key would work.

Edited by TonyT, 25 September 2017 - 09:59 PM.

#69 Lee White

Lee White

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:54 PM

I bet you don't know where the slang term "half inch" aka "Pinch"  (to steal)  comes from.

Cockney rhyming slang?

1/35 AH-56A Cheyenne-DONE!
1/32 Yak-38- Done!

1/32 F-111C for the ABIM Group Build!

#70 LSP_Matt

LSP_Matt

• Administrator
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:05 AM

What about jacking the cars up, taking off the wheels and chaining them to a post (quoits style) bolted in the corner of the garage? If you've got a impact driver to put the wheels on and off, it doesn't seem too inconvenient. Fairly low tech method of making it really hard to move the vehicles.

Remote CCTV that can be checked via your cellphone, IR trail cams triggered by movement, and GPS trackers that you can fix inside a panel could also help.

Matty

• LSP_Typhoonattack and Shaka HI like this

#71 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:17 PM

TonyT, on 22 Sept 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:snapback.png

I bet you don't know where the slang term "half inch" aka "Pinch"  (to steal)  comes from.

Cockney rhyming slang?

Back in the day when Nelson was a young Captain, America was a sideline we were running and the British ruled the seas, Wooden ships used to be tied together by long copper nails, some over four foot in length, now even though there was a penalty of death for theft, the copper was valuable and was regularly stolen because you could not trace it, thus it was sold on the black market  and often purchased back by the Royal Navy  unaware it was their copper.

To get around this problem the Royal Navy came up with the novel idea of stamping into the rods every inch or so with the crows foot you see on British military items today, thus if you were caught with a rod of copper marked thus, it was the noose for you and adios to life....

But us Brits are a savvy bunch, so the dockyard workers took to "pinching" the rod up into parts with cutters and stealing the "1/2 inch " of unmarked copper while leaving a nice pile of crowsfeet behind, thus the terms for theft came to be known as as half inch or pinch, both referring to the theft of Royal Navy copper.

Similar I take it you know when someone says something is first rate, second rate or as in my modelling skills, third rate, this also comes from the Royal Navy, A first rate ship of the line was the biggest, best and heaviest armed of the fleet, HMS Victory was a first rate warship, a second rate was less well armed and smaller, and a third rate was even less so.

Just thought I would lighten up the thread and give Ron some lighter relief...... Psst want to buy some Copper?

Edited by TonyT, 26 September 2017 - 02:27 PM.

• Lee White, dennismcc and LSP_Typhoonattack like this

#72 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

4350-2844aa.jpg

http://www.oldcopper...r_sheathing.php

Edited by TonyT, 26 September 2017 - 02:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users