Bf 109G-2 Trop

IJ001

Nice work so far...where did u get the decals for Black 2...i like that scheme

It won't be 'Black 2' it's 'Black 7' (same unit), decals from the Kagero 'Top Colours' book.

Ian.

Lots of photos of paint, so I'll break this down in to 'bite size' chunks....

Starting with the undersides:

blue%20progress%201a_zpsrwinwqc6.jpg

blue%20progress%201b_zpspkye77ak.jpg

blue%20progress%201c_zpsk6jsktfi.jpg

Xtracolour RLM78 enamel - at least ten years old and used only once before - cut with refined turps about 65/35 and applied in two thinnish coats followed by lightening a little with Humbrol Lt. Gull Grey (129) and post shading in to the centre of the panels. Here it is a wee bit closer:

blue%20progress%202a%20_zpsobks4asd.jpg

blue%20progress%202b_zps0bwectxu.jpg

blue%20progress%202c_zpsrjubagzi.jpg

I appreciate that right now it looks a wee bit like a harlequin but the effect will 'calm down' once I apply a pin wash and a few of the usual weathering techniques.

Stand by, folks more in a few mins...

Ian.

Theatre markings next:

white%201_zpswb73y2q0.jpg

white%202_zpsajxrnvl2.jpg

I still use enamels for two-out-of-three of my models, and in 40-odd years of playing with bits of plastic I've never found anything as easy to use as good ol' Humbrol 22 !!.

More very soon.

Ian.

Ok, last one before bed-time.

tan%20progress%201a_zpse4gnh3lj.jpg

tan%20progress%201b_zpseotvq0s9.jpg

tan%20progress%202a_zpsrkv7tpo5.jpg

tan%20progress%202b_zpscdt7barv.jpg

tan%20progress%203a_zpsdqfbpjck.jpg

tan%20progress%203b%20_zpspwripdmk.jpg

tan%20progress%204a_zpsnmdx9ng3.jpg

tan%20progress%204b_zpsr9xgbozn.jpg

Again Xtracolour enamel, RLM79, I love using this colour it has a wonderful rich chestnut tone. Two thin coats, no post-shading yet, that will happen in the next session. So thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. Please feel free to criticise, comment, or ask me any questions.

AFN

Ian.

Post-shading the top-side, just the upper fuselage and tops of the wings. Used the base-colour mixed with a little 'sand'. Sprayed at VERY low pressure in to the centre of the panels. The photo exaggerates the effect, it isn't that 'stark'.

paint%20done%201_zpspkorrhza.jpg

paint%20done%202_zpsrws5kquv.jpg

paint%20done%203_zpstg1shg0p.jpg

paint%20done%204_zps7i710zbm.jpg

Thanks for looking and/or commenting. Will leave this until after the weekend, then apply a couple of coats of Johnsons Klear to seal it all in. Have a great weekend all.

Ian.

Ok, so not too many comments, but I'll press-on. Had a 'light work day', so managed to get the pin wash done with Windsor & Newton oils thinned with refined turps.

pin%20wash%201_zpsvs2g71rn.jpg

pin%20wash%202_zpszsgd1cif.jpg

pin%20wash%203_zpswwmljvcm.jpg

pin%20wash%204_zpsefyiwrgu.jpg

pin%20wash%205_zpseyyz1r7h.jpg

pin%20wash%206_zpsemqv8rdn.jpg

This evening I sealed it all with (another) brush-coat of Klear/Future. Next decals.

AFN

Ian.

Non-photo update:

Well that didn't go well. I simply couldn't maintain a consistency of pressure, flow of paint and therefore width of line. Three practice goes and two 'actual' sessions and then had to wipe the whole thing off. But as nobody ever told me how to give-up, I went to my 'Plan B' and simply hand-painted the 'wandering snails' with a signwriters brush like this one:

No I didn't get the soft edge to the green that I would have liked, but I did get consistency and great colour coverage. Now the process doesn't just stop there because once it dries & cures I'll rub-it-back with 3600/4000/6000grit Micro-polishing cloths which will fade it right  back, even chip the green a little making it appear as a worn and weathered-out tone.

I know it sounds like I'm making this up as I go along, but 'Plan B' has been very thoroughly thought-out and was pretty d*mn close to being 'Plan A'.

Bare with me, progress pics at the end of the week.

AFN

Ian.

Well no doubt about it now - the effect is OK, however it is way below what I'd already achieved prior to putting the green on yesterday. 

Because I was so happy with the model before, I'm not going to throw it at the wall, just take a deep breath and put it away for now. Later when I've finished some other builds I'll  find an alternative paint/decal scheme that allows me to keep what I've done then finish it another time. 

Shame, but you gotta know when to walk away, bank what you have and return to it when you have the enthusiasm again.Thanks for all the support and comments through this build, always appreciated and never taken for granted.

Ian.