Arado Ar 196 A

MikeC

Here's my Ar 196 finally completed.  You may recall the WIP thread here.  http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53170&hl=

I finished the acual aircraft a little while ago, and then set abut looking for a base.  I found a picture frame minus its glass in the "reduced" section of one of our local DIY stores, and used a product from Woodland Scenics called "Realistic Water".  This takes time as if you pour anything other than a thin layer at a time it takes forever to dry!  I've also yet to work out how to make realistic waves, so I opted for a flat calm day in Odessa! 

Why Odessa?  It's where the actual subject may have been based - had it actually entered service - with Escadrila 102 of the Royal Romanian Air Force.  In fact, Romania ordered 50 of these, but most were still in their delivery crates by the time Romania changed sides; however, I do like the scheme, as it may have looked.  Kit by Revell, decals by Kora, seat belts by HGW and float rigging with EZ Line, all in 1:32 scale.

IMG_4168_zpsfad5c8eb.jpg

IMG_4169_zpsf0488b0b.jpg

IMG_4173_zpsd28341ef.jpg

IMG_4178_zps8047896b.jpg

IMG_4180_zpsb49dbd33.jpg

Thanks for looking, feedback welcome, and Happy New Year.

Edited by MikeC

Many thanks for the comments Gentlemen, and for being too polite to mention all the niggling little issues I can see.  It's my first 1:32nd-scale model in a few years, and I had a great time with it.  I will certainly do more in this scale, and have a couple of WNWs (Triplane and RE.8) and a Spitfire PR XI conversion bubbling to the top of the to-do pile.

@BradG and anyone else thinking of getting one, go for it: the kit can be a bit tricky in places but given the relatively low price (here in the UK at least) it's excellent value, it gives a lot of modelling "bang for your buck".

Nice model, but the markings are spurious. Romania did not operate any Arado 196 in Crimea (or anywhere else...). The only connection Romania had with Arados were the German Ar 196 based in Mamaia/Romania, which sometimes had Romanian crew on board. Romania ordered some Arados but they arrived in crates around 23 August 1944 and what happened to them is unclear but it appears they were taken by the Soviets before they were assembled.

The only German small seaplanes that saw service in Romanian colours were He 114.

Sorry, I don't want to steal your joy... The model is beautiful and well-presented.

Radu

It seems that the ARR ordered 50 Arado Ar 196s, along with some attrition-replacement He 114s, and the first of these were delivered by mid-summer 1944.  "All but two of these aircraft were reportedly still in their crates ... on 8th September 1944." Source: Rumanian Air Force: The Prime Decade, 1938-1947, Denes Bernad, Squadron/Signal 1999.  I have to confess that the lack of photos of any machines in this book (recommended btw, full of inspiration) did give me slight pause, but I do have a weakness for German aircraft in non-German colours.

So let's say that it may have entered service and may have looked like this.  I've seen other profiles which show a scheme of overall dark green uppers, but I decided splinter camo on balance of probability, given that other German a/c operated by the ARR (eg Ju 87) retained this.

No joy missing, but thanks for your concern; I'm always ready to learn. :)

Edited by MikeC

Hi Mike, 

The issue of "Romanian Ar 196" is fairly clear. To start with, it is unclear how many arrived in Romania before 23 August 1944 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Michael%27s_Coup) Then... it is fairly certain that none entered service. All of them were confiscated by the Russians. 

One thing is certain: there were no Ar 196 with Romanian markings. Trust me, I discussed this with historians and veterans. There are no photos because there were no photos to be taken. I would really, really love a Romanian Ar 196. 

Radu 

Hi Radu,

I have no doubt that you're correct (no sarcasm intended).  My knowledge of the details of Romanian operations and history is somewhat lacking, but improving, and I do appreciate your input.  Interesting link btw, many thanks, and interesting to compare with the Slovak uprising of around the same time.

So to rephrase/revise slightly what I said above: let's call it an "artist's impression" of how it may have looked had it entered service - dare I use the term "What-if"? :whistle:

Mike