ZM 1/48 F4J Phantom: 7/19/17: WONDERS NEVER CEASE

Guest Peterpools

Man you sure picked a winner being in the ZM line up. I've got their 1/48 Ta-152 and the 1/32 Ho-229 (although I'd trade it for a 1/48 scale version straight up at the drop of a hat) and the detail in these kits is nothing short of amazing. I'm really liking the interior here on yours and am looking forward to the rest of the build. Great work.

Guest Peterpools

Mustang

Much appreciated and the detail is surely there. ZM has a nasty habit of teasing us with details and there seems to be a price to be paid with fit and a tendency over over engineering a kit. Interior detail that will not be seen - why bother at all? But compared to their 32nd scale He219 (I've been fighting with it for many months) an enormous improvement in fit and the instructions for the F4 blow the manual type instructions of the Uhu out of the water. :)

Peter

Bro,

Great start to one of the best 1/48 scale F4s being kitted. The pit really looks good with your usual touches of dry brushing and PE. Glad to see that you're finally breaking down and going to try Black Basing rather then sticking to Gray primer for everything.   :thumbsup: 

We've had quite a few conversations about ZMs philosophy of only the basic kit, and then it's their extra sets for everything else, but then again Academy F-4B doesn't really come with anything extra either, although it's about half the price for a kit nearly as good IMHO. 

Looking forward to following your build here. And BTW, nice to see you posting your non LSP builds. I'm convinced that a lot of guys build other scales and other types of kits. The change of pace helps to keep one's Mojo up. 

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Finally a 48th scale kit underway since the Kfir a few years ago. So far the details have been excellent but a bit of the ZM over engineering is starting to sneak in here and there. I'm really looking forward to learning how to do black basing for a spot of light weathering.

I have the Academy F4B/N and of course all the AM I think I need plus another awesome of Furball decals.

Does this qualify me for a FREE breakfast at the diner, since I took your suggestion?

Bro

Edited by Peterpools

JA

Finally a 48th scale kit underway since the Kfir a few years ago. So far the details have been excellent but a bit of the ZM over engineering is starting to sneak in here and there. I'm really looking forward to learning how to do black basing for a spot of light weathering.

I have the Academy F4B/N and of course all the AM I think I need plus another awesome of Furball decals.

Does this qualify me for a FREE breakfast at the diner, since I took your suggestion?

Bro

Bro,

Of course not. I'm on a semi retiree's budget. I can only afford a few new model kits every so often, and one breakfast at the diner on Sundays. BTW, you still owe me one full breakfast as I recall.  :notworking:

As we've discussed, even with ZM sneaking in some of that over detailed, never to be seen again stuff, it's a far cry from the horrors of the Owl. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Guest Peterpools

JA

Right on the money

I don't remember any free breakfast! :fight:

Bro

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hi Barry

All the side wall detail - panels and electronics are attached to the side walls and when the fuselage ha;ves are joined, everything is there. It really is a very unorthodox way of doing the cockpit and it's a mix of the kit parts and AM PE. I'll try to take a few photos  but it does look pretty good.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Completely agree 1000%. It's in a class by itself when talking F4's. I would also say off the top of my head a few other books right up there:

The Modern Viper Guide

The Modern Hog Guide

Daco Uncovering the F-14

Daco Uncovering the F-15

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Kev

Completely agree 1000%. It's in a class by itself. when talking F4's. I would also say off the top of m head a few other books right up there:

The Modern Viper Guide

The Modern Hog Guide

Daco Uncovering the F-14

Daco Uncovering the F-15

Peter

I hadn't realized that Daco did a book on the Eagle, Peter.

Guest Peterpools

Kev

You're right and I'm wrong.

It's on my must buy list and due out after the F-104 book. Guess I was wishing a bit too hard and taking the list off the top of my head ... I got a bit ahead of myself.

I went to their web site just to be sure I got something right.

http://ultra.glo.be/daco/

Just follow the link to the new web site.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Kev

You're right and I'm wrong.

It's on my must buy list and due out after the F-104 book. Guess I was wishing a bit too hard and taking the list off the top of my head ... I got a bit ahead of myself.

I went to their web site just to be sure I got something right.

http://ultra.glo.be/daco/

Just follow the link to the new web site.

Peter

Yep, already checked it out. The Eagle book will be put on my (seemingly endless) "must get" list.