Hungarian Bf 109G-6: Finished w/new pics!

Earlier today, I was looking back at the last model that I completed for my collection and realized that it's actually been just over a year! :o I've been busy with other things, but have actually completed eight models... for other people. I'm still slowly progressing (riveting) on the Hs 129 for the "ABIM" Group Build and still hope to have it done before that GB ends. I still have two other commission builds on the bench right now and six more lined up. However, I figured I better get in on this! I need a "me" build as a kind of sanity check. So....

I've chosen to do a Hasegawa 109G-6 in Hungarian colors. It will be the first option on this decal sheet, from HAD, which I have just ordered.

HAD32022A_zps461a3546.jpg

I also have some Fine Molds seatbelts already on their way from Japan and an Eagle Parts spinner in the stash that I can use. Beyond that, this build will probably be closer to an OOB build, just to keep it simple. As for references on this plane, I can't seem to find anything concrete on the web, so if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'm not too worried and I'll probably go for the look as depicted on the decal sheet, as it looks good to me. I'm looking forward to this one.

Regards,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Nice options, especially the 2nd with the normal tail and Erla hood.

Funny you should mention that. The kit I'm using is actually a G-14 that I've swapped parts around with, over the years. As it turns out, it has the early style tail, but does not have the Erla canopy. So, I'll probably just stick with option number one.

Looking forward to it John! I'm keen to see how you go with the HAD decals too. I've never used them, so I'd like see how they perform. The HAD guy (apologies for forgetting his name!) is a member here.

Kevin,

I thought I had seen him around here, before. Hopefully, he can answer any questions I may have (and there will certainly be questions!). :)

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

John

Forgot to mention:

The next commission build on my bench is a 1/48 Zvezda 109F-4 that will also be in Hungarian markings (kind of what inspired me to do this one and the timing was perfect). I already have the HAD decals for that and they look good. I'll be sure to post that build in the Non-LSP forum when I get into it, which should be in the very near future.

John

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

My decals will be here next week. I've been giving this one some thought and debating on whether or not I should add the Aires cockpit that I have, as well as my last set of Moskit exhausts. I also have a Trumpeter riveting wheel on it's way that I may play with a bit and decide to use on this one, just for kicks. We'll see. At first, I thought I wanted to keep this as simple as possilbe, but just a few little things could make it a lot better and, since I already have most of them on hand...why not, right? :shrug:

John

Okay, I've been busy with life for the last week or so, but I think I have everything together, now. Unfortunately, my stepfather passed away this week, so I will be doing some traveling and will have to put this off for another week, but I'm anxious to get it started.

Here's the kit (but actually more of a G-6, since I only have the old style canopy and tail for it), the HAD decals (look very nice, btw), the Aires cockpit from their F conversion and the Moskit exhausts. I also have an EagleParts spinner somewhere that didn't make it into the photo.

20131213_085529_zpse53fdbba.jpg

And, the Trumpeter "Rivet Maker". I had my doubts about this, being as cheap as it is, but it actually seems to work pretty well for what it is and it only cost me six bucks! Might as well try it out on this build.

20131213_085820_zpsefc87cd4.jpg

Hopefully, the next pictures I post will actually show some progress. :whistle:

John

I have one of the Trumpeter rivet makers as well, I just used it a few days ago and found that it produces "flat" recesses instead of "round" rivet like recesses. Easy fix though, I took a file and filed from the center of the metal "gear" to the outside to reduce  the corners of the teeth on both sides of the "gear", not a lot though if you do a little bit at a time and check it some scrap styrene you will see the difference.

Good luck with your project,

Pat

• 2 months later...