Herringbone Gotha - Back on the go!

seiran01

Guest Clunkmeister

Hey Mike,

I built this kit a couple or three years back and I highly recommend you verify which of those ejector punch marks will be visible...

If memory serves me, most are covered by sidewalls...

And, I ended up scraping off much woodgraining on the inner fuselage because of the sidewalls going over it and creating clearance issues...

Just a word to the wise, if I may... This kit is an early kit and has clearances like the Albatros. Very, ummm, precise.

It hates any paint in the way.

Thanks Ern, way ahead of you. I definitely remember some "fun" with filling and cleaning seams the first time I started the Gotha.

Spent most of the day working on the interior. Ejector marks are all cleaned up as are nearly all of the internal components. Some preshading and then everything that ends up painted as bare wood was painted with a thin mix of 50/50 mix of Mr Color japanese propeller color and sandy brown.

My usual wood graining medium, AK Rust Streaks wash, is a bit too light on the darker base coat, so I instead used AK Streaking Grime. Here's how a number of the parts are looking at the moment.  These will get a clear gloss or semigloss coat (or alternating sheens) with a tiny bit of clear orange or clear red mixed in.

UffGJbp.jpg?1

Thanks Ern, way ahead of you. I definitely remember some "fun" with filling and cleaning seams the first time I started the Gotha.

Spent most of the day working on the interior. Ejector marks are all cleaned up as are nearly all of the internal components. Some preshading and then everything that ends up painted as bare wood was painted with a thin mix of 50/50 mix of Mr Color japanese propeller color and sandy brown.

My usual wood graining medium, AK Rust Streaks wash, is a bit too light on the darker base coat, so I instead used AK Streaking Grime. Here's how a number of the parts are looking at the moment.  These will get a clear gloss or semigloss coat (or alternating sheens) with a tiny bit of clear orange or clear red mixed in.

UffGJbp.jpg?1

Mike this is utterly fabulous!

The woodgraining is subtle and the tones are really nice. I like how you varied the the graining direction on the different panels on the floor. Are there any physical demarcation lines on the plywood sides of the fuselage for the woodgraining or you just split the panels randomly for the woodgraining if my question makes sense?

Looking forward to your next post!

Karim

Thanks guys, 

Karim, there are no lines on the fuselage interiors, but I did hold the framing in place to do a little preshading first. I actually just did all vertical grain in the fuselage halves as those are kind of hard to see once everything is assembled. The floor is the most visible piece so that got the directional treatment  at each bulkhead and panel line break. 

Off to Consumer Electronics Show early tomorrow, so no more build time until Friday I'm afraid. Woo, CES!

Thanks guys, 

Karim, there are no lines on the fuselage interiors, but I did hold the framing in place to do a little preshading first. I actually just did all vertical grain in the fuselage halves as those are kind of hard to see once everything is assembled. The floor is the most visible piece so that got the directional treatment  at each bulkhead and panel line break. 

Off to Consumer Electronics Show early tomorrow, so no more build time until Friday I'm afraid. Woo, CES!

MIke: 

Enjoy CES!  Hate that show - too damn big plus its in Vegas.  Really nice work on the interior.  Keep it coming!

Chris

It seems like I'm in Vegas for trade shows every few months in this industry, it's crazy! My last industry had me there for only one event in nearly 8 years. At least there will be time to catch some shows. Carrot Top is absolutely hilarious once you have a margarita or three in you :-)

Thanks guys, 

Enjoy Mike!

and thanks for the clarification... i was scratching my head as to how to do separate panels on the fuselage sides when the time comes for me to start the gotha!

Looking forward to an update when you are back at the bench! stay safe and enjoy!

Karim

• 2 weeks later...

And we're back! It's been a long 2 weeks of work travel and long hours in the office when home, but I did manage to start working on smaller interior parts.  I've just glued the cockpit floor along with bulkheads and left side bomb rack and ammo storage into the left fuselage half. The clamps are pretty much a necessity at this point in the build to ensure a tight fit and to minimize any need for putty when gluing the large fuselage halves together. Paint was removed from as much of the mating areas as possible.

I've opted to leave the internal bomb racks empty - each held 4x 12.5kg bombs, which translates to 100kg of internal bomb load.  I'm going to be loading up the underwing racks with a bunch of 100kg and 50kg bombs, possibly heavier than what a "normal" load would have been, so it's quite likely the internal racks would have been left empty in cases like this. 

Karim - notice how little can be seen of that bomb rack and the ammo cabinets without other components to further block the view - the rigging between the pilot and rear gunner on this side cannot be seen at all.

More updates to come this weekend with better photos!

HdYuBVZ.jpg?1

Karim - notice how little can be seen of that bomb rack and the ammo cabinets without other components to further block the view - the rigging between the pilot and rear gunner on this side cannot be seen at all.

Cockpit work continues but the interior finish line is getting closer. Lots of little detail bits this weekend. Pilot's seat was preshaded and painted white, with Uschi grey leather decal applied over it. First time I've used his leather decals, and am pretty pleased with the result. 

Hoping to be able to finish the instrument panel tonight if I get some more time... 

3aLrdqc.jpg?1

YeVfqIv.jpg?1

RHrPhbC.jpg?1