Revell 1/32 Tomcat

petrov27

Later boxing of the old Revell Kit. Built one as a kid in the early 80s - seems like a thousand years ago. Looking through the plastic now, impressions are that the shape is good, the engraved panel lines a bit deep and wide but not terrible and that pretty much all of the detail areas - wheel wells, intakes, cockpit, landing gear, tires/wheels, weapons, etc could/should basically be tossed and replaced by aftermarket. I do have some of that already as I have been planning a Tomcat build for awhile but not 100% certain if I want to try to apply all that to this kit. New decals are a must - I do have Zotz Miss Molly but again not sure if this is the build to use those on or not. A late 70s VF-1 scheme also has appeal - I liked the 78 cruise where they first had the overall gloss light gull grey scheme - looked sharp. Decisions, decisions.....

IMG_2625_zpsmznslh0h.jpg

Edited by petrov27

I have one of these, but misplaced the canopy. Not sure how I can misplace that part, but it's not in the box! How frustrating.

Will be watching...

Shaka, I had the same problem many years ago. Larry Hawkins (RIP) came to my rescue. Why don't you put up a request on the traders board? You might get lucky.!

Edited by Bill_S

After several days review of the kit parts and aftermarket options - I think my plan of attack is:

1. plane on a stick - some sort of wheels-up in flight dealio - maybe wall mount or something

2. maybe source a better interior from either the Trumpeter or Tamiya kit - at least the instrument panels and shrouds as the Revell are pretty terrible

3. use the eduard interior, QB seats and Tamiya crew

4. source other decals aftermarket or the Trumpeter kit

Thought about going crazy with aftermarket (all the big Aires F-14 sets, G Factor gear, eduard wheels/tires, etc) but I think I will wait on that and do a "super" build of the Trumpeter kit someday (or when Tamiya releases their new tool 1/32 F-14 :) )

Started small - these are the Eduard Brassin AIM-7s. Really nice - I used Two Bobs decals on them though.

Of course if you look close you will see some issues with the one in back - when flat-coating them today it came off the wire I had it mounted to and did not fare well against the concrete floor. Three fins broken and not able to find all the bits - they really shattered. Got two more in the box (it is a set of four) but this was pretty frustrating....  :BANGHEAD2:

003_zpszksppsee.jpg