Mr Paint new colours

Tony T

No affiliation with the Slovakian Mr Paint range, but have been buying and am impressed.

Recent releases at the bottom of page 5 thru page 6...

http://mrpaint.sk/eshop/farby?page=5

Latest include Vietnam era 36440, 17875, 34079, 34102, 30219, 36622 and interior dark gull grey 36231.

Tony

Only acrylics?

They're not acrylics Brian, just labelled that way to avoid some of the onerous shipping laws for solvent-based paints. They are in fact lacquer-based, with a similar formula to Alclad - imagine Alclad paints in camouflage colours, and you get the idea. They spray flawlessly and are an absolute joy to work with, but some of the colours aren't very convincing to my eye. See my review:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1314

I've since purchased a few more of their Luftwaffe colours to use on my Do 335 build, but I think I might test them for colour accuracy (or, to put it better, believability) on a paint mule first.

Kev

They're not acrylics Brian, just labelled that way to avoid some of the onerous shipping laws for solvent-based paints. They are in fact lacquer-based, with a similar formula to Alclad

Kev

Acrylic paint can be solvent-based. See here: http://www.ehow.com/info_12128786_solventbased-acrylic-paints-cure.html

Similarly, the GSI Creos Mr Color paints (as opposed to the Mr Hobby water-based "aqueous hobby paint") are solvent-based paints and spray beautifully.

I think that the "Mr" bit at the front of "Mr Paint" is a bit unfortunate because it reminds of the "Mr Product" range of products from GSI Creos. When I see Mr Something, I always think GSI (Gunze Sangyo Industries). Why promote someone else's brand? And if it is intentional, it just looks desperate and it may be "lawyer bait".

Radu

Mr. Paint can be ordered from their website. One shipment of mine was damaged and the owner made good right away at no additional cost.

The one color I tested was RLM 76...it sprayed, as Kevin said, beautifully, however the shade was a bit off for Lichtblau 76. But, it's perfect for the "Graublau/Grunblau" late war colors.

HTH,

D.B.

• 3 weeks later...

These are indeed acrylic.... they just yse a petroleum based solvent.    They are very similar to the new line of Akan..  lacquer based paint..... and behave like Mr Hobby paint when thinned properly....

Hands down I think lacquer based acrylics are the very best.