F-4C Wild Weasel "Brain Damaged". - Rebooted!

ghatherly

The previous pictures show work I in August-October window.     Here are current pictures with the decals on, shaded colors completed with some weathering.    Paint is Master Model acrylics thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner.   I didn't take pictures but I do persuade with a dark gray  FS 36118 the panel lines and gloss black the control surface breaks.   I ended top mixing three shades of each color to add details and depth to the paint.   One thing I did was lighten the Light Green color as out of the jar  it provided to little contrast with the medium green.   IN painting tests darkening the medium green to get contrast made both colors to dark, especially when the real aircraft paint faded from baking in the SE  Asia sun.   One fact that makes painting C Weasels easier is that the jets wee freshly repainted before leaving Kadena for Thailand,  according to Allan Palmer, and so they were as fresh as they appear in pictures.  Another benefit of the repaint saves modelers time is that the C Weasels only had a minimum amount of stenciling applied after the repaint, since they were crewed by very experienced personal.

IMG_3617_zpssfmhunvp.jpg

[url=httpIMG_3617_zpssfmhunvp.jpg//s1048.photobucket.com/user/ghatherly/media/F-4C%20Wild%20Weasel/Weasel%202/IMG_3614_zpsts4m92cp.jpg.html]IMG_3614_zpsts4m92cp.jpg[/url]

IMG_3598_zpsmyj9hv07.jpg

IMG_3600_zps4a7jbrtp.jpg

IMG_3604_zpsgh2j6cvb.jpg

IMG_3607_zpswahutzsg.jpg

IMG_3608_zpsqqg73zea.jpg

IMG_3613_zpshlflh5vj.jpg

IMG_3611_zpsdssr2asc.jpg

IMG_3609_zpstg1gpf8p.jpg

IMG_3602_zpsbdmwyn2o.jpg

IMG_3601_zpscuribz5w.jpg

Up next,  weathering and assembly!

Edited by ghatherly

• 3 weeks later...

HI everyone,  I have been making a lot of progress on the build, just not posting.    Time to catch up with that.

I have managed to finish the exterior paint and decals,  paint and installs he elevators,  finish canopy frames/HUD/Instrument panels.

First the elevators:    I have tried different assembly and finish sequences for the rear fuselage, and installing the rear under fuselage priory to installing the elevators.  To do this I have to cut the one piece elevator into two parts, which makes it necessary to glue them into place at final assembly,

IMG_3651_zpsfuxdzigi.jpg

IMG_3621_zpsmkyejmma.jpg

IMG_3652_zpswuztqjak.jpg

IMG_3713_zpsjplcqbdi.jpg

IMG_3666_zpsjype6gpp.jpg

IMG_3672_zpsaqzxydzq.jpg

Here is the canopy, seats and cockpit 95% completed.   I still have the canopy locking hooks to finish and the control sticks in both offices.    I really like the AirScale Modern Jet decals, both the instruments and the placards.   The colored Eduard PE sets were also used  in part for the cockpit and the seat/ belts.    The wiring and small fittings came from "Detail Master".

IMG_3694_zps2zsolsmn.jpg

IMG_3695_zpsegus4poh.jpg

IMG_3696_zpsbmagbkgk.jpg

IMG_3683_zpskceoazpq.jpg

IMG_3688_zpsqfdopxf9.jpg

A view through the windscreen, I used an MV light for the HUD projector lens:

IMG_3686_zpsi3bvjvgr.jpg

IMG_3687_zps0a42wy7u.jpg

IMG_3661_zps5bn9mztl.jpg

IMG_3663_zpsxwgjinst.jpg

Thanks for looking.   I have the main gear to do the remainder of this week.   The tanks are done and that will leave the missiles and pylons to wrap up.

Edited by ghatherly

Finished put he cockpits with the sticks and O2 hoses.

WSO Station is unique to the C Weasel.

IMG_3744_zpsfojignxn.jpg

IMG_3750_zpshglx1fgg.jpg

IMG_3758_zpspikxdrah.jpg

Pilot office.

IMG_3747_zps8bnosptt.jpg

IMG_3748_zpsimtdeksx.jpg

IMG_3760_zpsvhi2r8r0.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting and such with totes pictures.   I do not have my phot booth set up since we moved last year and I am using my iPhone for these, so thanks for bearing with me.

Here is a couple of shots of the rear fuselage:

IMG_3787_zpstglpnbvn.jpg

IMG_3775_zpsvguwccsc.jpg

IMG_3789_zpsahlbwgna.jpg

I poen put the small oval shaped vent and the tap vent tubes installed.  Other hole is for the "T" handle when I get it made.

thanks for all the interest and support and taking the time to check out my work.

The nose L-gear in the Tamiay kit is very strong but the details need to be changed to get an accurate leg.   Some of these details can be made by carving the plastic and exposing them.   Here is what I ended up doing for mine,  still some inaccuracies but close enough.   

IMG_3814_zpssp9li1hf.jpg

IMG_3816_zps42poy2ov.jpg

IMG_3827_zpsvlzpjju5.jpg

[/url]

IMG_3812_zpsnmhdbks5.jpg

Wing inner pylons:

IMG_3810_zpssqnx3qgj.jpg

IMG_3809_zpsupy6ryir.jpg

IMG_3805_zpsshhjdyjk.jpg

Edited by ghatherly

Thanks everyone for the kind words.   

The bolts and nits you mention are nickel plated brass, .5mm x 5 mm, the nuts are .8mm and just slip over the bolts.  A touch of CA holds the nut in place.   The round pads are from the Eduard F-15E exterior set.   The hanger  claw part is from Tamiaya's F-16CJ kit.    It really is easy to install the hardware, and there is plenty of MEAT in the arm if you index the hole location and slowly use a .5mm drill.   I left the pins no the hangers as they will fit into holes int he LAU-34 Missile rail mount.   I cut the kit inner wing pylons au quit a bit which is pretty evident from the pictures what I did.  Also note the bolt heads on the rear of the pylon and on the face of the rear wing pad.  These are plastic.    I have a huge stash of misc nuts, bolts, wires, etc for detailing, not to mention many small parts form the various kits that I parted out in years past.   Hope this helps those of you who bought the Conversion set get motivated for a Build!

Edited by ghatherly

Update 12/8

Landing gear installed:

fullsizeoutput_1c7_zpsz93krzly.jpeg

IMG_3870_zpsk30pbqsy.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1c6_zpsxzywrygg.jpeg

IMG_3864_zpshgni2blb.jpg

IMG_3863_zpsyoj88pqb.jpg

IMG_3854_zpsmehqi1n3.jpg

IMG_3845_zpssem3f9pu.jpg

I really wanted the gear to look like the real plane with the mechanisms and such, but decided not to fill the bays with all of the lines that could have been added.   A couple things I did were to thin the edges of the gear doors to give amore realistic look, along with hoses for the retraction cylinder lines.  The wing beams are scratch built, and I carved out the main gear bases to make it appear more real.

Thx