GMC CCKW 2-1/2 Ton Truck

LSP_K2

That's a cool little project Kev! 

Thanks a bunch, Ron, I like it too. It amazes me that it took this long to actually get the kit in my hands, as I'd wanted it since it was first released.

This looks great an I love the treatment on the tyres. :-)  Really looks good!

Thanks a bunch. To me, the wheels are a big deal. If they don't look right, nothing will look right.

Hi Kev;

Nice project and a great start! I've been meaning to look out for a build thread of this kit for some time as I have always had it in the back of my mind to buy one.

I used to drive a "Jimmy" identical to this years ago to shows (and just for the heck of it) around the UK. An absolute joy to drive and it sounded great too and with the benefit of nice syncromesh gearbox...unlike the WW2 British trucks I owned that needed double de-clutching and whacked into gear with a mallet!

The one I drove still had it's original wooden cargo body, a rarity it seems, as nearly all the other GMCs I saw in the UK had metal backs. I was told that the wooden cargo backs were used for transporting ammo...no sparks created on a wooden cargo body. Well, that's what I got told. 

The only thing I didn't like was it's original 6 volt electrical system. You could drain the battery just by trying to pump the fuel up from the tank on start up. I used to dunk a glass in the tank and fill up the carb directly to get it going!

I'll post up some photos when I find them!

Best regards;

Steve

I'd enjoy seeing them, Steve. Progress on this one is proceeding at a decent pace, so I'm hoping to get it finished sometime in February. If it ends up looking acceptable, I'll drag it along to our show here in September.

nice work Kev, I've got a wheeled project next in the queue

a little teaser, hope you dont mind

32391857776_dd56321a73_c.jpg

Ooo! Looks like the SAS Jeep to me! Can't wait to see this one too as I've got this in the Stash along with the LRDG Chevolet. Planning to build them as a tribute to my late Grandad who served with the LRDG and SAS in North Africa for a few months. Think that's where he won his Military Medal (MM).

Kev, I'll post some shots of my old "Jimmy" when I get to scan them. This was back in the late 80's through to the mid 90's and I used to display at as many shows as I could. Beltring in Kent was a blast....never seen so many military vehicles in one place! Have some stories about those shows!

Best regards;

Steve

I'll look forward to them, Steve.

OK, mud guards and braces now added, as well as rear bumper and tailgate. Once this is dry, I'll go ahead and attach to the frame. Mud guards had a few pin marks, but not too bad, really.

2.5%203a_zpsdrbgterz.jpg

Lights now added to front fenders. I left the molded area between the fenders temporarily, just to act as a stiffener until it's time to attach to body proper.

DSCN0004_zpsevyqofkk.jpg

Yeah, good idea.  Too easy to knock stuff about plus it gives you a nice hand-hold for painting, detailing and such.  

This is looking really interesting, especially all of the add-ons.  Looking forward to seeing how this goes!  Really nice to see a lot of things being built besides the usual aircraft (still a fav, of course!).

One of the more time consuming challenges with this model, will be cleaning up the seams on all the 5 gallon containers, and there's going to be a bunch of them (there are still more to be assembled than what's shown in this photo). I'm also strongly considering a large tarped area of storage in the bed, as that would be so much easier to produce and paint.

2.5%20m1%20006_zps34cjuxus.jpg