New EagleCals for the F4U-1a Corsair - in time for the Tamiya 1:32 kit

Judyc

Great  profiles!

Please note, the Big Hog had the early cowling with flaps opened around the entire cowl. It also had the early propeller, the same as birdcages used to have.

F4U-1ABigHog.jpg

The photo you show here indicates Big Hog from VF-17's first tour. EE is depicting Big Hog from VF-17's second tour, circa Feb/Mar 1944. Note the number of victory markings on the profile. This aircraft had the larger 6541A-0 prop.

It is believed that Blackburn could have had as many as three different aircraft.

Mark Proulx

The photo you show here indicates Big Hog from VF-17's first tour. EE is depicting Big Hog from VF-17's second tour, circa Feb/Mar 1944. Note the number of victory markings on the profile. This aircraft had the larger 6541A-0 prop.

It is believed that Blackburn could have had as many as three different aircraft.

Mark Proulx

Thank you very much for your explanation.

He has done a couple of special packages for me upon request. I love his work.

Cheers

Brad

He has for me as well......as recently as earlier this year. However, I just recently (yesterday) tried to email him at the addy I have always used and it was returned undeliverable.

A quick check @ his website, and it too is off line..........

So if U do manage to get in touch with him please, please send me a PM. His stuff was head and shoulders above others I have tried.

He has for me as well......as recently as earlier this year. However, I just recently (yesterday) tried to email him at the addy I have always used and it was returned undeliverable.

A quick check @ his website, and it too is off line..........

So if U do manage to get in touch with him please, please send me a PM. His stuff was head and shoulders above others I have tried.

That is a real pity, hope Ian's alright. 

If you do any further Corsairs, could I suggest the bird that the late great Swede Vejtasa flew aboard Enterprise in early 1943, the first Corsair the men of the Big E had ever seen? It was  probably one of the very first Corsairs in theater there in the Solomons. The reversed wing numbers are interesting.

Thank you for listening!

Bob

F4U-1CorsairaircraftofVF-10onthehangarde

Corsair-Enterprise-VF-10.jpg

PS. There may be battle damage repairs on the starboard fuselage star, as well. And, the black walkway on the starboard upper wing looks to be in a somewhat unique position, as well, as well as a fair amount of painting touchups. All in all, a very interesting subject - pretty please?

Thanks again for listening,

Bob

Edited by Aptivaboy

She was probably a VMF-213 aircraft, as per this pilot's diary. Else, why send Corsair information to the Enterprise's gunner officer? Probably for recognition purposes?

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/wdiary3.html

This may be the same bird later on, although the stenciling is different and various sites state that it was taken in the fall of 1943. However, the ghost of a larger stenciled side number seems to be underneath the new number. Who knows?

510471005df81.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

Now I have my new Tamiya Corsair -1A, I was wondering where things were at with this decal sheet? Looking at building mine as RNZAF (of course!) and was keen to know more. I know there was discussion elsewhere on darkening the shade of blue on the wing/fuse roundels....

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Now I have my new Tamiya Corsair -1A, I was wondering where things were at with this decal sheet? Looking at building mine as RNZAF (of course!) and was keen to know more. I know there was discussion elsewhere on darkening the shade of blue on the wing/fuse roundels....

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

You will have to do a build of your Corsair so we can see. :popcorn:

There was a discussion on Hyperscale about the RNZAF colours, when the Crandall's announced it in late October this year.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1414179842/New+F4U-1a+Corsair+EagleCals

Pete Mossong came in on the discussion too.

Jerry announced toward the end of the discussion that the RNZAF version would have the correct colours. So now we wait and see.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, I shall await with great interest!!

I was just discussing how nice this new Tamiya kit is with Pete last week, I think he is planning on doing his as NZ5201.

Just finishing off a commission build at the mo and I will be back in action! My 24th Mossie is in the works here when I get the time. I have some bits being cast by my friend Kerry up your way so when they are back I will leap forward in a few areas.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ