Fw190A : Hasegawa or Revell?

Zero77

So, it sounds like it could benefit from someone making a one piece resin cowl, yes? Any takers?

Excellent point, seems like Revell should have provided a closed up cowl option for the 190 since most people don't go with the open cowl when they build it.

Excellent point, seems like Revell should have provided a closed up cowl option for the 190 since most people don't go with the open cowl when they build it.

Hmm...maybe if we put the word out there in another thread, one of our illustrious resin gurus will take up the challenge. I am tempted to try myself, but I'm not properly set up just yet.

The whole point of the Revell kit is to provide the full engine for open panels. That is its only clear advantage, and is also its Achilles heel. Otherwise, the Hasegawa kits offer the closed cowl option. 

D

While I don't have the Revell kit, I would have to agree that this is what has really prevented me from getting one. I'm a "buttoned up" kind of guy, most of the time. The one thing that does stand out as another advantage for Revell, is the option of having both "open" and "closed" moldings of the canopy. Hasegawa's "one size fits all" canopy isn't impossible to work with (hasn't stopped me from building a bunch of them!), but it's challenging to get it correctly posed when in the open position.

My .02

John

But I just can't forgive Revell for the engine cowls tho' , 

Seriously its left a dark scar on my normally happy disposition!

ColinR

That's Revell for you. Every kit contains at least one big PITA at no extra charge.

And so do Hasegawa !

I have a box full of 190 (A or D) resin aftemarket from Eagle, MDC, Aires, Quickboost... Even the best kits may need some enhancement.

Agreed. I don't think there's one "magic bullet" that applies to everyone. While I have both Hasegawa and Revell kits, I've finished neither, so can't really say which I prefer, nor why.

Agreed. I don't think there's one "magic bullet" that applies to everyone. While I have both Hasegawa and Revell kits, I've finished neither, so can't really say which I prefer, nor why.

Hasegawa's LSPs are excellent: I've finished eight. As much as I like Tamiya's "super kits," of which I've built three, Hase's are absolutely my favorites.

They are not elaborate, but they are well engineered and the parts fit is generally quite good. They make a good basis for the talented among us to display amazing craftsmanship and imagination, or they can be built OOB by plastic snippers like me with relative ease and still produce nice looking results (OK, you might have to stand back and squint a little at mine).

Here's hoping they'll release a new WW2 LSP soon. I've built their P-40 and BF-109 twice each in the last year. I'm working my way thru the rest and I'm thru the '190A and D, the Zero and down to the more obscure Japanese fighters. It would be nice not to repeat one again for a long while, but the dam' things are irresistible, especially the '109s.

As for Revell, I have two kits in the stash but have started only one and not finished it. It's the Spit Mk II and I did not like it as well as the Hase kits. From reading the forums, I gather some of their other prop kits are quite nice, particularly their JU-88.

Edited by AdamR

As for Revell, I have two kits in the stash but have started only one and not finished it. It's the Spit Mk II and I did not like it as well as the Hase kits. From reading the forums, I gather some of their other prop kits are quite nice, particularly their JU-88.

The 88 is quite nice, and so far, seems to fit like a glove.

Yeah, I think I see one in my future.

I encountered one semi-serious anomaly so far, and it really threw me until last night, when I finally resolved it. Part # 224, is depicted as a loose item (not associated with a particular tree), but is in fact molded onto the L tree (there are two of these), so I now have two of the needed part that I could not account for earlier. I can now resume my work in the 'pit area as a consequence, and that pleases me immeasurably.