Piper PA-20 Pacer

RacerDave

Dave

Just one small item that needs to be added, as it it is prominent feature of the entire line: the cross brace frame in front of the windshield. After a while, you forget they are there but unconsciously are always looking around them.

Peter

In the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson: "DOH!" That makes two things I forgot on the interior! The first, the little vent squares in the rear windows will be added to the outside only instead of both as I originally intended. The cross braces will be more challenging. I will probably need to remove the windscreen in order to add those braces. I stared at those things for Six hours flying up to Oshkosh and you are right, after a while you completely forget they are there. I'll go ahead and correct that error today as I am running low on things to do before I begin painting.

Thanks guys! Anything else I missed?

(I am aware of the 22's buldged fuselage sides, I've chosen to ignore that fact as it would be easier to make a new fuselage than to correct it)

Guest Peterpools

Dave

Every PIper from the J2 all the way through the Pacers, Tri Pacer, Colts and Super Cubs had them, as they all semi shared the same basic type of steel tubing construction. Two other goodies you might want to include, which are hard to see:

The trim tab crank on the headliner

The fuel selector to the left of the pilots knee.

Just two things you used all the time and never really think about it. It's just automatic.

Peter

Monogram included the fuel selector as part of the fuselage mold so I didnt miss that detail. The Trim lever is the Third item I forgot to add before closing everything up. I guess I just got in too big of a hurry when I stuck the windscreen on! I'll be peeling that off soon so that I can fix my errors. No need to rush now, there is not much I can do before the masks show up. I have no eta on those so this might be on hold for a while. Thanks for the reminders, have I forgotten anything else?

Guest Peterpools

Dave

How about the door handles?

And of course, the panel will have the latest and greatest of it's day: A NARCO Omnigator Coffee Grinder. Thank goodness it was before my time but then again so was four course, low frequency navigation and the lovely ADF.

Peter.

This pacer has the small pull knob door handles. I never even thought to add them. With the fuselage closed up they will be impossible to add but since they are so small will probably not be missed.

I tried to make the model's panel representative of the 1:1, not an exact duplicate. You might notice the model's panel has a very pronounced lean forward at the top where the 1:1 is vertical, only one of the many details I decided to ignore (otherwise this would be taking Much longer). The 1:1 panel is quite plain as you can see, this Pacer makes you work for it.

101_1693.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Dave

Thanks for posting the panel and I just love them that way. Nothing like looking at a sectional, your compass and maybe a few railroad tracks.

Guess I was thinking too much about my old Colt, which was strictly a VFR time machine for me.

Peter

To be fair, we did use a hand held GPS on the flight to Oshkosh. Sure made it a lot easier! But I do prefer low tech for most things. Heck, I'll be flight training in a Tailorcraft, doesnt even have a starter! lol

Here is what I managed today, made up a trim crank and brace tubes and got them installed. The windscreen is just set in place for the picture, I'll glue it on again tomorrow after the glue cures.

101_2088.jpg

101_2091.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Classic in every sense. Once you learned to master the intricacies of tailwheel takeoffs and landing, you joined the fraternity of taildraggers, which today most pilots have never had the opportunity of doing.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I learned on Fleet 80 Canucks 60 years ago so the check-out in the 135 hp Pacer was a non-event but others found it a real challenge. The very early models had a narrow gear spread and could bite you if you did not keep the nose pointed down the runway.

We need more light aircraft here!!!!!!

Barney

• 4 weeks later...

Can you guys recommend someone do to the markings on this project for me? The person that was working on them for me has been out of contact since before my last post here. I've had zero progress lately mostly because of this problem. Does anyone else out there do custom stencils and decals? I'd really like to get back on this project and get it into the hands of my friend so he can enjoy it.