F-7U-3M Cutlass Monday 11/24

marauderdriver

Hold on to y'alls  Horses!!!

First pics  figured to shim the  "wing spar" into the top half of the fuselage, so I could add the wings later.

Having to do some shimming and seeing where the best place to start gluing the 2 halves together.

Also added a spreader in the lower half and may need another one closer to the wing mount.

The flat piece that is shimmed in is the "Wing spar" that they want you to glue the wings to

then mount in the upper fuselage all the while keeping the wings level.  You will have a rather large gap

all the way around the join unless you can work it in small stretches.IMG_2515.jpgIMG_2514.jpgIMG_2518.jpgIMG_2519.jpg

Jack, I cant believe you're not farther along already... clearly you need to buckle down and get some progress made mister!  :rofl:

Coming along fine my friend, now just keep working it out before committing to glue and all will go well. :) 

Oh and don't listen to all the voices in your head bro... you'll end up in a tank top and flip flops in the street on COPS  :whistle:

All the best,

Paul 

Thanks  Paul, Harv, Kai, Loic,

I hope I'm not screwing up, I made a snake of Milliput all the way around the the fuselage seam and squished them together.

This was yesterday,  After I did it I went for lunch and got into the Texas A&M- Auburn game when it seemed the Aggies came to play.

Yea! I Know   "You Got Lucky"     and I say  "I'd Rather Be Lucky Then Good" :punk:  :punk: :punk:  

If you recall I had a Not so good experience with MilliPut  Not hardening,  thought I'd give it another go!

Sand soon!

jackIMG_2535.jpgIMG_2543.jpgIMG_2541.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Jack

Nice progress on the Cutlass and nothing like having a good POA. On the Sea Fury, I used CCA for the larger gaps and the smaller ones, Milliput. I'm becoming a big fan of the Fine White Milliput and found that after I apply it, I carefully wipe it down with a damp Q-Tip, until it's smooth and even with the tops of surfaces. Most of the time, I have zero sanding and polishing to do ... just a great time saver and a super product.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Ok  Starting day 3 and still waiting for the Milliput  harden all the way thru.

Still checking things over for the PLAN and after much research and picture checking, I have come to the

conclusion that I'm going to have the Leading Edge Slats open with the gear up.......flying SSLLOOWW!

Found 1 picture in this condition and it is the first F-7U-3M with a nose boom and red trim with white borders

on the nose and intake fronts with 4 Sparrow I missiles.

I do not want to  CUT-UP this kit and it would be more surgery then I want to do.

I'll be checking the gear doors here soon to see how that is going to work

Nothing new for picks to show

Jack

Guest Peterpools

Jack

I've been using a lot of Milliput and CCA for my recent builds. Milliput dries rock hard in 24 hours. and I hate to be the barer of bad news, but if it hasn't already dried rock hard, most likely it won't. I've had this problem once before and found it was my mix of parts A&B. What I now do and it works 100% of the time, I cut a small amount from each tube and before doing anything else, I re-seal both tubes and back in the box they go. Then I roll each out into a string, the same thickness and cut the same length of A &B. Combine both together and then start rolling out a new ribbon. The key is equal amounts of both A&B and combining them completely together. Now apply, smooth out with a damp Q-Tip and let dry. Leave the un-used portion of the ribbon on your work bench as a control and it will harden in less then 24 hours and the filler on the model will be equally as hard.

Peter

Hi 

you are again struggling with this damned putty that takes a loooog time to dry deeply ...well as Paul said , CA glue !!!!!!!!!!! , with a drop of accelerator ...........you will save time . I am amazed by such abyssal gap one a Fischer's kit  :hmmm:

Hi Alain,

I think I have the putty problem under control, because of the size of the putty snake in the large gap I find the milliput needs a longer time to cure

If you expose the inside to air it seems to harden more, kinda like Tamiya putty which is why you layer it.

Good thing about it taking so long is that I was able to Plan more on the sequence I will put parts together.

I can see why there is this size gap, but it is not that bad really, and other parts seem to fit OK,

Thanks

Jack

Jack

I've been using a lot of Milliput and CCA for my recent builds. Milliput dries rock hard in 24 hours. and I hate to be the barer of bad news, but if it hasn't already dried rock hard, most likely it won't. I've had this problem once before and found it was my mix of parts A&B. What I now do and it works 100% of the time, I cut a small amount from each tube and before doing anything else, I re-seal both tubes and back in the box they go. Then I roll each out into a string, the same thickness and cut the same length of A &B. Combine both together and then start rolling out a new ribbon. The key is equal amounts of both A&B and combining them completely together. Now apply, smooth out with a damp Q-Tip and let dry. Leave the un-used portion of the ribbon on your work bench as a control and it will harden in less then 24 hours and the filler on the model will be equally as hard.

Peter

I understand the mix and did this the same as you describe, but what I have found is after I let it set overnight and sand it down it is still soft in the center.

I left the sanded areas alone til this morning and they are hardened.  I discovered that when I pulled the Milliput out of the spine on my F-105, that the next day it was hard,

I sand and let it set overnight and it seems to be working.  I also made a control and when I dug into it is was softer but by the next day it hardened.  Gave me a plan and

will continue to experiment.

Always learning something.

jack

When I was posting the problem I was encountering, I thought of you Lee,

I remember you saying you stopped using  Milliput and recommended  Apoxie Sculpt.

I don't want to waste a whole package of Milliput if I can figure out how to use it up.

Thanks Again Lee

jack