Piper Super Cub floatplane (PA-18-150) "Popeye"

Zero77

Guest Peterpools

Ernie

Right with you. I was always the first at Amityville Flying Service in the mornings for my flights in the Cub and loved the cool crisp mornings - I normally had the split door (if you can call it that open)  and at 17 years of age ... the air temperature meant nothing .. just the wind and the sound of those 65 Hp Lycomings and Continentals. On a rare few occasions I had the chance to fly a Cub with a 85Hp up front and a prop start was still the only way to get her ticking. Too far back to remember how she flew but the old memory thinks we were told to fly her with the same numbers.

Yup, nothing like the dew on the ground, prop starting a Cub and taking off through a low hanging mist.

What the new pilots sure are missing.

Peter

• 3 months later...

Nicholas

I lost track of this build and have just found it again. This is refreshing..delightful and above all...just beautiful. Pristine work on what is, for me, one of the prettiest airplanes ever built .

Thanks for sharing...

Best

Geoff

Formidable Monsieur.  Lovely Cub, beautifully finished.  :goodjob:

The Super Cubs like Nic's were the real Cub hotrods. You actually had power with those, not just a noisemaker up front.

So I guess the standard Cubs were similar to the RAF's Jet Provost, the Viper was a CTVN engine ...

:

:

Constant Thrust Variable Noise.  :)