Tape residue-Best way to remove?

imatt88

Hey all,

I have some clear parts in kit that I'm working on that had masking tape and parts of a canopy mask set on for quite a while.

When I removed all that stuff, I soaked the parts in window cleaner for at least a week.

I pulled them out and cleaned them off, and still had a sticky, gummy residue on them..

What's a good way of removing this stuff without damaging the clear parts?

Thabks,

Cheers, Ian

I think you have some good answers already. I have used Goof Off, it is a petroleum based product, so watch your paint. Goo Gone I have used on car windshields trying to remove some sticky substance then spent a half hour trying to get the oil from the Goo Gone off...

Might try 99% alcohol, that might work.

Good luck!

I've used this for decades: https://www.amazon.com/Goo-Gone-Surface-Adhesive-Remover/dp/B00006IBNJ

It's citrus-based and doesn't attack canopies or other clear parts.

Another vote for Goo Gone, it will remove the residue from canopies that have been dipped in Future (or what ever the current product name is)  without harming the coating.

Another vote for Goo Gone. Stuff works amazing. Really does the trick on sticker residue, and using citrus power, it doesnt seem to adversly effect any plastics at all. 

I would try rubbing alcohol.

Be SUPER careful with 91% alcohol on clear IM plastic parts!!!    (ask me how I know!!)   If you use a paper towel dipped in 91% it will probably remove the residue well, but I would not recommend dipping the clear parts in 91% alcohol, as the longer exposure to the alcohol can severely dry out the clear plastic , and can in some cases lead to extreme brittleness and even spider cracking. 

Definitely a fan of Goo Gone (and I've not not had the problem of the oil residue that Ray had).  I use a cotton swab and go at it.  I've also seen where it takes the adhesive off, but doesn't do anything to the nearby paint.

Good luck!

Chris

Another vote for Goo Gone. Stuff works amazing. Really does the trick on sticker residue, and using citrus power, it doesnt seem to adversly effect any plastics at all.

Be SUPER careful with 91% alcohol on clear IM plastic parts!!! (ask me how I know!!) If you use a paper towel dipped in 91% it will probably remove the residue well, but I would not recommend dipping the clear parts in 91% alcohol, as the longer exposure to the alcohol can severely dry out the clear plastic , and can in some cases lead to extreme brittleness and even spider cracking.

I have had no problems, but I never leave it to soak in the alcohol. Maybe that make the difference?

Edited by Hardcore