Curtiss Kittyhawk (P-40E, Hasegawa)

Badger's Black Primer and 15 mins later, Vallejo's Model Air Aluminum. I absolutely love this paint as it dries fast and looks great even after sealing it with a clear coat. I'm going to try Tamiya's X-22 Gloss clear instead of Future for this build. It seems "harder" and smells just wonderful!

I'll let this dry for a couple of days, than seal it with X-22 and after a day or so, add the color coat and start chipping away with a toothpick. I tried this with the G-6 and do like results. For larger chipping areas, I'll use Micro Mask -- Rubber cement is a bit too stringy and I've decided it's just not for me.

Pict looks grainy, but it's not like I prepped the surface for a true NMF finish. When I do the Tamiya Mustang (probably next), this is the paint I'll use and I've ordered more of it!

whE0OTs.jpg

Looks very smooth Shaka, I haven't tried Vallejo's aluminimum yet but might have a go. Do you use a layer like hairspray between your silver base and your topcoat to make chipping easier, or just paint on paint?

Max

Clear coat over the metallic, let it dry, masking fluid, let it dry, then color coat, and finally, I'll chip/pull 15 mins later. Wait any longer and it becomes harder to chip the paint. Post shade with the same variation of the color coat over the chipping to subdue it, a wash, then a flat coat to tie it together....well, that's the plan.

I was concerned with all these layers of paint, but on the final flat coat, I did not notice any dulling of the detail.

So true, Max...and this obsession with size seems to permeate everything in our society/culture -- cars in particular. Even the latest Japanese, Korean, European cars seems to get larger each successive model year due to our marketing influence. I drive a compact sports coupe and I feel small and vulnerable everyday I fight the traffic on the way to and from work!

What do you drive Shaka? I've had 4 Civic Si over the years, although two were called SiR which is where my profile name came from.

I've got a '91 Beat still and it doesn't get much smaller than that:

IMG_20150611_173416.jpg

Back to the P-40, the cockpit looks very nice with the silver base coat. A couple areas to watch out for are the vent inserts on the nose, the front canopy and the previously mentioned tail section.

Carl

I'm driving a 128i, but most of my past cars were compact Honda coupes/sedans. Various Civics, Preludes, S2000's, Miata (MX-5) and CRZ's. If I see an unmolested NSX -- I'll probably consider it,

but these are getting extremely rare. I'm even itching for another S2000, but these too are becoming rare here. And I still won't consider any slushboxes, but the traffic here makes me think

otherwise -- just for a second or two..

Honda Beat's are not sold in the US market, but everyone outside of the States seem to get all the cool cars we can't have!

I'm itching for another car -- if Honda introduces a new generation S2000, I'll buy it. Brand new if I have to. I like nimble cars and have no need for 300+ HP, American Muscle cars (albeit, they're

getting much better in the handling department)!

The 128 is a nice car. A colleague offered to sell me his 1M but I had to pass as we needed for doors.

You're right about NSX and S2000s getting expensive. About 5 years ago, an early NSX was around $25k CAD. Now they're double that or more.

The Beat I picked up 9 years after it had been brought in from Japan. At least the import rules here are 15 years or older vs the 25 they are in the US. R32 Skylines were in the $10-20K range before they became legal for import into the US. They're now $30-40k.

My wife loves US muscle cars and I do but more the original'60s versions.

Minor update. First color coats after the silver/gloss coat. I'm not sure about the color of the interior -- I just mixed a color that looked right to me. Also, I keep seeing natural metal for the seat on this aircraft and while it provided more interest, I wanted the opportunity to chip it to expose some of the silver instead. I used Micro Mask with detail brush for large chips, lightly painted the components with my green mix and came back with a dull toothpick about 15 mins later. Subsequent washes and post shading will dull the silver a bit.

fwzvT7b.jpg

That pit looks fantastic. I used a similar chipping in my Has E. The has P-40 kit (with the exception of the blasted quarter window seam) was a really great kit, and this one is definitely coming along!

Up to this point in my life I have had 11 Honda motor Co vehicles (I count my Acura in there too, along with a Ridgeline) and just last year traded my Civic Si hatch in for a new-ish/ still under warranty Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

Its the first American brand car Ive ever owned. Ive always LOVED my Hondas, but there is only 1 vehicle that offered the convertible + Hardcore off-road capabilities I was after.  

Saw/stopped and spoke to a gent that passed by the Buckey gas station by my house with a 2011 GTR/R35 the other day. It was truly spectacular. 

Detailed painting on the cockpit, more chipping with the toothpick and/or x-acto knife. Scratches/rust using pencils. Gloss coat for a wash. Fuselage halves prepared. 112 Squadron decals are 1/48 scale..Anyone know if it's available in 1/32? Edit: I'll be using Airscale's decals for the instrument panels and the belts I've ordered are back-ordered!

a0WNqWR.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI

Thanks Max. Wow! I must say that I'm super impressed with the Flory washes. I tried them and I must say, they perform nearly perfect.

1) They don't stain Future (I inadvertently sprayed Future instead of X-22 Clear).
2) They easily come off (I used distilled water with spongy makeup remover cut to size). Perhaps, too easily.
3) They're "smooth". It doesn't look grainy as the Tamiya, oil paint-based and other acrylic/water-based washes I have tried when closely inspected.

I've forgotten that I've ordered them and had them at my disposal for the Spitfire build! I'm glad I've just discovered them!

Very subtle using the "Dirt" wash..hard to see with the Future gloss coat (but that's how it should be!):

axL5Mv5.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI