Doyusha N1K2-J "George"

He he! Just HAD to bump "Team George" up to the top together. ;)

Thanks for the nudge Russ. I need to finish my Sea Venom first though, as I don't have room to build more than one LSP kit at a time!

Coming soon...

Kev

Hi Kev

Been lurking for a while, haven't had time to model but I'll be watching this build with interest. I have one in the stash, and played around with it a year or two back.

I have the Aero Detail book, but would recommend grabbing the Hasegawa kit in 1/48th and using it as a reference for rebuilding the cockpit.

Best of luck !

Ian

Hi Kev

Been lurking for a while, haven't had time to model but I'll be watching this build with interest. I have one in the stash, and played around with it a year or two back.

I have the Aero Detail book, but would recommend grabbing the Hasegawa kit in 1/48th and using it as a reference for rebuilding the cockpit.

Best of luck !

Ian

Hey, thanks Ian. I do have that Hasegawa kit actually, so I'll have to drag it out. Might even consider building it at the same time.

Kev

• 1 month later...

OK, finally this build starts! With the Sea Venom in stasis at the 99% mark, I thought I'd better cut some plastic on this one before I risk getting all the way through a GB without touching my nominated kit!

I've been hacking away at the cockpit, trying to make it look respectable. I used the kit tub to keep the correct length and leverage the existing mounting points in the fuselage. I cut away the original floor but kept the side consoles, and boxed it all in. I did this before consulting my references and realising that the kit's side consoles are a fiction. Oh well. I don't want to get bogged down in this one, so I'm just moving on.

post-3071-1241085162.jpg

Also in the photo you can see where I'm at with the engine assembly. Russ kindly sent me the engine from a Hasegawa Frank, which you can see mounted on the kit's mounting unit. This is actually a housing for a small electric motor to spin the prop, and fits directly onto the front of the cockpit tub. Just to the left of this is the kit's engine - yep, that's all you get! With the Hasegawa engine being about 3 times as deep, I've had to remove a large portion of the mounting unit to achieve the correct overall length. You can see the removed portion at the front. It's difficult to measure accurately, but I suspect the whole assembly is still a millimetre or two too long. If so, I'll have to take it off the back end.

More soon.

Kev

WHOOHOOOO!!! Alright Kevin! ;) I've been wondering if that motor would be 'do-able'. Looks like it will even fit into that cowling? Ooooh, yeah. Looks like 'Team George' is on a roll here.....so I just might have to rejoin this GB with a Tony.

Good to see ya get a start on this kit, and do some kit-bashing to boot! Can't wait to see how this'll progress.

OK guys, time for a quick update. I'm still chipping away at the cockpit. Keeping the kit's side consoles turned out to be a mistake, as they're hopelessly inaccurate (they're not really even there on the real thing), and their presence is making it hard to get the rest of the cockpit even close to accurate. Still, I'm not a rivet counter, so hopefully the gods of accuracy won't strike me down, since it's too late now! Here's the progress:

post-3071-1241438338.jpg

post-3071-1241438351.jpg

post-3071-1241438360.jpg

Still plenty of work to do, with the seat and seat mounts being probably the biggest challenge.

Kev

Thanks for the feedback guys. Work on the cockpit continues, but nothing worth posting any photos yet.

Kevin

Here is the seat pan pattern that I used on my build, you can play with the sizing to get it right later

John

Thanks for posting this John. I had a couple of attempts to build a seat from aluminium sheet last night, but no success so far. The second one came out closer to 1/48, so I've got my sizing wrong and will have to revisit that. I'm thinking of reverting to styrene sheet too, as I just find the aluminium too difficult to work with.

Kev

Thanks for the feedback guys. Work on the cockpit continues, but nothing worth posting any photos yet.

Thanks for posting this John. I had a couple of attempts to build a seat from aluminium sheet last night, but no success so far. The second one came out closer to 1/48, so I've got my sizing wrong and will have to revisit that. I'm thinking of reverting to styrene sheet too, as I just find the aluminium too difficult to work with.

Kev

Kevin

I used copper sheet, I purchased a roll of copper flashing, at my local hardware. that is enough to keep me going for years..

the copper is soft enough to punch holes in and scores with very little effort , but rigid enough to hold shapes, and fold in sharp angles.

good luck

John

post-5601-1241733714.jpg