AIMS 1/32 Bf 110 F and G

Pastor John

Hi everyone, a few years back I read lots of messages about a new 1/32 Bf 110 conversion and so I put off doing it myself. As nothing seems to have happened I am going to start work on it as soon as my Ju 88 P-1 is finished. I have never yet failed to make good on a product I say I will do and although there is always a first time I do not anticipate this being so. I am not looking for pre-orders or anything or even a show of hands as I gleaned from the earlier posts that enough people wanted one but be warned the kit is expensive already never mind adding a comprehensive conversion to the price. Those of you who know me know I keep my mark-up to the minimum and I will try my best to continue in this vein but it has to be worth the time I pour into it. Not sure what to do about photos - sad that I have lost all my old posts and can not afford to pay for a photobucket subscription - shame this site does not allow you to upload direct from your PC like FB. Any suggestions?

best wishes as ever

ex pastor John haha

John,

As you know, I have a few of your conversions and appreciate all that you have done for us!

However, you may want to check out this thread (which I just saw for the first time, today): http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=70239

I'm not sure how all of this will pan out, but am thrilled that some people are starting to come forward with a willingness to tackle this project.

Cheers!

John

John, I am in for one and I could easily be arm twisted to pre-order. I could do two if one option was a G-2 non-night fighter.

Photobucket ransom attack can be dodged by picking another. There is at least one thread here with discussion.

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski

Hi everyone, a few years back I read lots of messages about a new 1/32 Bf 110 conversion and so I put off doing it myself. As nothing seems to have happened I am going to start work on it as soon as my Ju 88 P-1 is finished. I have never yet failed to make good on a product I say I will do and although there is always a first time I do not anticipate this being so. I am not looking for pre-orders or anything or even a show of hands as I gleaned from the earlier posts that enough people wanted one but be warned the kit is expensive already never mind adding a comprehensive conversion to the price. Those of you who know me know I keep my mark-up to the minimum and I will try my best to continue in this vein but it has to be worth the time I pour into it. Not sure what to do about photos - sad that I have lost all my old posts and can not afford to pay for a photobucket subscription - shame this site does not allow you to upload direct from your PC like FB. Any suggestions?

John ... 

I tried to get this project off the ground a while ago ... It went nowhere, unfortunately.

Some time ago I saw some of your AIMS conversions for the Revell Ju-88 ... looking at some of the builds I thought I'd like to do a couple of these ...

At around that point one of the G-6 night fighter conversions came up for sale on the Traders Board ... so I nabbed it - one of the original boxings with heaps of marking options.

I have to say at this point ... that the more I look at it ... the more I'm not sure I'll ever attempt to use it ... and it's sort of pushed me off grabbing a couple of further sets for now.

A shame ... as I love the detail shown in the finished products on display.

I would like you to receive this feedback in the spirit with which it is intended - there is no 'niggle' ... just an honest appraisal ...

As with any conversion ... there will be cutting, clean up of replacement parts and assembly - this is a given ...

But what seems unclear as I rifle through the box contents - is instructions - on what parts should look like once cleaned up ... the nacelles are loaded with what looks like solid putty - but there's no mention of the need for it to be removed ... or what can be left ... what areas need to be clean for assembly? There are marking options for A/C with Schräge Musik arrays ... but no parts ... or instructions on where to fit them. The radar arrays look to be the same in this regard - I have (I think?!?) the arms ... but not the dipoles.

Simply put ... the instructions alongside the box contents have put me off for the time being. Also ... vac formed components are not as preferable to me as resin ones.

In my mind any conversion for the Dragon kit would have to be a full resin conversion ... with clear and precise instructions showing what parts are to be used, when and how they look once cleaned up (so that casting anomalies will be obvious to users).

All parts would need to be included so that nothing else needs to be sourced from anywhere ... except in a case (such as Russ' scratch built conversion) where the 20mm Schräge Musik cannon can be sourced directly from the kit.

Again ... please receive this feedback the way it is intended - just my observations and thoughts from what I've seen so far ... It looks like GT Resin is already onto this one, though.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

FYI, I have seen the DML Dachleback version sell pretty cheaply as no one seems to want that version and apparently don't realize that belly tank is separate and you can build a regular version. So if your conversion could use it, might save some people some money.

FYI, I have seen the DML Dachleback version sell pretty cheaply as no one seems to want that version and apparently don't realize that belly tank is separate and you can build a regular version. So if your conversion could use it, might save some people some money.

The Dackelbauch is the exact version I have, and I got it for a song, $39.00 USD. I was nervous as well, but snapped up the kit the instant I saw the ugly belly tank was separate. 

If any DML kit was to be used as a base, Id say Ray was onto something there, as the C-7 seems to be cresting the $100.00 most everywhere when it can be found. 

I am looking at an old Revell kit on ebay - need something to get me going. I have plans and many photos but i am old school hands on and if I can see the problems in front of me on a kit it is much easier for me. Would rather not spend the money on the ebay kit but there you go (can anyone part with one?). My Dragon 1/32 kit is sadly a C-7 so the tail wheel is only 12mm across instead of 14mm. Can anyone lend me the larger wheel parts from the D kit? Check the D kits wheel is indeed 14mm first! Would need the leg also I guess. I have loads of decals already done.

I am looking at an old Revell kit on ebay - need something to get me going. I have plans and many photos but i am old school hands on and if I can see the problems in front of me on a kit it is much easier for me. Would rather not spend the money on the ebay kit but there you go (can anyone part with one?). My Dragon 1/32 kit is sadly a C-7 so the tail wheel is only 12mm across instead of 14mm. Can anyone lend me the larger wheel parts from the D kit? Check the D kits wheel is indeed 14mm first! Would need the leg also I guess. I have loads of decals already done.

You'd be better getting the wheels from the E kit, as it has the correct larger smooth tyres suitable for the F/G.