1/32 B-58 Hustler

foiler

Astonishing! :o

I leapt at the chance to see a 1/32nd scale Hustler but nearly switched off as I read paper model. Glad I did n't though. Your work is superb and makes for a handsome model of a beautiful aircraft.

Now, if only we could persuade an injection plastic manufacturer to produce one of these bad boys......

Thanks for sharing this Ken, it's a pleasure to see. :popcorn:

Cheers,

Guy

:)

Thanks folks for the kind words and condolences. The modelers at Warner Robins seemed to get a kick out of it as well. Unfortunately, there were no other paper models entered, so the first place was by default.

IMG_7256.jpg

As a sidebar to this build, I have to admit that I really didn't think building a paper model was going to be much more than a time killer. I have a totally new-found respect fot those who design these models. The B-58 is a good example of a plane with area ruling (the "Wasp Waist") and irregular contours. I expected a boxcar version that really didn't look like much. I also expected something very flimsy that would keep coming apart. Neither of those concerns came out in the model. Overall this is a great model straight OOB; in this case "Out Of The BOOK".............

Thanks again to the best group of modelers on the Internet!

Ken Friend

Hi Ken,

Congratulations on your Warner Robbins win and thanks for showing what real aluminum, in all its glory, does for a model. It is the "Look" that counts...,

Paper models have come a long ways since the backside of a Wheaties box. The marriage of personal computers, color printers, internet and computer aided design have all teamed together to resurrect what was nearly an extinct art. Your astonishment at the progress is reassuring and the "Hustler" shows what can be done with a little out of the "box" activity (or should be, "out of the book?").

I've come to think of paper as another medium to model with. It's cheap, abundant and easy to work. Hardening paper with cyano-acrylate (CA) glue magically hardens and toughens paper into a superior medium for modeling that supersedes sheet styrene.

I've been doing one of those "unknown and probably impossible" modeler's quests over on Paper Modelers Website. Titled "Natural Aluminum Finish" it includes several abortive attempts at realizing an aluminum clad model (using paper) with flush rivet detail etc.. As usual I've been taking a break before continuing on with a MiG-17F late production. Next step is to abandon the molded shell and begin the process of building a former and stringer fuselage from paper to be covered in formed aluminum tooling foil. This should prove to be chock-full of agony and pain - even for the more advanced types...,

Best Regards, Gil

1:32 scale molded paper fuselage of a MiG-17F (LP) experiment

MiG-17F-LP_Fuselage_Shell_1W.jpg

Hi Ken,

Congratulations on your Warner Robbins win and thanks for showing what real aluminum, in all its glory, does for a model. It is the "Look" that counts...,

Paper models have come a long ways since the backside of a Wheaties box. The marriage of personal computers, color printers, internet and computer aided design have all teamed together to resurrect what was nearly an extinct art. Your astonishment at the progress is reassuring and the "Hustler" shows what can be done with a little out of the "box" activity (or should be, "out of the book?").

I've come to think of paper as another medium to model with. It's cheap, abundant and easy to work. Hardening paper with cyano-acrylate (CA) glue magically hardens and toughens paper into a superior medium for modeling that supersedes sheet styrene.

I've been doing one of those "unknown and probably impossible" modeler's quests over on Paper Modelers Website. Titled "Natural Aluminum Finish" it includes several abortive attempts at realizing an aluminum clad model (using paper) with flush rivet detail etc.. As usual I've been taking a break before continuing on with a MiG-17F late production. Next step is to abandon the molded shell and begin the process of building a former and stringer fuselage from paper to be covered in formed aluminum tooling foil. This should prove to be chock-full of agony and pain - even for the more advanced types...,

Best Regards, Gil

1:32 scale molded paper fuselage of a MiG-17F (LP) experiment

MiG-17F-LP_Fuselage_Shell_1W.jpg

Thanks Gil, and good luck with your project. Great job in WR; thanks for letting me participate.

Ken

• 6 years later...