FINISHED: Spitfire IIa, P7834 RY:F, 313 (Czechoslovak) Sqn, 1941

MikeC

Cracking on there Mike! I hope you're enjoying the Revell kit as much as I am, despite its known short comings, most of which I can live with. Must admit I love walking into my model room and seeing a Spitfire on the bench, such graceful lines. Think I'll have to invest in the seminal Tamiya IX kit, might even do a second build for the GB!

Max

They're metal, but I found them relatively easy to use. They also give you extra buckles and templates so you have the option to make paper or fabric belts if you wish. Recommended.

Thanks for all the kind comments so far, more soon I hope.

Some more progress: harness painted (still awaiting tidying up and a bit of light grubbiness) and the IP.

Suttonharness-painted_zps7nbp3hzs.jpg

Unfortunately a couple of te dials - notably the AH - somehow wrinkled themselves out of place courtesy of Micro-set, and quite probably my ham-fistedness as well.  Still, can't do much about it now; it's worse in the photo than it looks in the cockpit, so I'm going to leave them as they are.

WP_20160119_16_47_40_Pro_zpsdrvqz3fd.jpg

I've now buttoned up the fuselage, and while that was drying I took the Eduard Brassin wheels off their casting blocks and cleaned them up.  Compare and contrast with the kit wheel (top of photo) - definitely a good investment!

WP_20160121_11_50_18_Pro_zpslzzsi1s3.jpg

Edited by MikeC

Might be a problem flying straight and level with a wrinkly artificial horizon Mike! The cockpit and IP looks good, I'd do exactly the same in your shoes. Also agree about the Brassin wheels though in my case, airborne, I'm a little cross that they have flats on.

Max

The turn and slip's a bit wonky too, but only out of true by a few degrees: perhaps the Flt Sgt is even now "interviewing" the unfortunate erk who fitted it out of true.  :whistle:

I see where you're coming from about the "flats".  What's your solution?  For me, I'd see if a "chunk" from the kit wheels, a dash of Milliput, and a bit of sanding would sort it.

It's a bit of sanding, a bit of Milliput and a bit of sanding!  Not perfect but OK, especially since one of the u/cs will be only partially down (that's why the pilot got the red!!) so the wheel will be strategically positioned! :)

Max

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. The editor of a well-known magazine said to me "You like recce stuff, how about a review of this?", and thrust into my hand the new TanModel RF-84F. Well it's not an LSP and it meant putting a Spit slightly on hold, but it would have been rude to refuse. So I am still doing stuff on this build, but the priority is lowered for a short while. Still on track to finish ny the end of the gb though.

Mind you, as a former project manager I have not applied formal PM methods, but it should be done by the deadline.

• 1 month later...

Been cracking on with the RF-84F, and managed to slip in a quick Aerosan as well http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61254&hl= I know, I do get distracted easily!

Anyway, I've done a few bits here and there on the Spit, and she's almost reasdy for a primer coat I think.  Pics in a few days hopefully.