Spitfire PR Mk XI RAF Benson

Iain

I wonder if this conversion is still available? Id like to buy one if it Allycat still sells them and can be found on Ebay, about 50 US dollars....Harvis.

The Alley Cat PR Mk XI conversion has several different boxings - different decals in each.

Alley Cat don't list the conversions on the site list - but a Google came up with this sub-level page for the USAAF version - so possibly not currently in production.

Hannants have the 'Captured', Danish and Norwegian boxings.

Just dug out both of my 9's from the loft and found some Barracuda stuff that I'd forgotten about - so adding their 'Starboard Cockpit Sidewall', 'Spitfire Cockpit Upgrade Pt II' and the four spoke wheels.

Also have two sets of the 'ROLLS-ROYCE' logo'd rocker covers - but don't think these are applicable to wartime engines?

Want to do full engine bay on this one.

I *may* do a Mk IXc in parallel...

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

Also have two sets of the 'ROLLS-ROYCE' logo'd rocker covers - but don't think these are applicable to wartime engines?

Want to do full engine bay on this one.

My understanding was that the logo appeared on RR Merlins and not on Packard Merlins, but that may be my memory at fault.  I'll do a bit of searching and come back if I find anything.  If anyone else knows the answer do please say!

I have a copy of a wartime Merlin 60 engine manual. It shows the logos on the rocker covers, so I think they are appropriate for your build.

I know the PRXI didn't use a Merlin 60, but I think it is safe to say that RR put the logos on during the war.

We'll see - I should have at least a new Me163 and Mirage IIIC...

Fuselage on the PR bird started - with the resin retractable tail wheel parts fitted (these are copies of the Tamiya Mk VIII parts) and fitted well.

I've been sidetracked fighting the Mirage which has to get finished - and is proving to be hard work at the mo. 

Iain

OK - after a delay on other things I bring you some progress on the PR Mk XI...

Tail sections to accommodate retractable tail wheel fitted. These are direct copies of the parts Tamiya supply in the Mk VIII kit and, after a little clean-up and trial fitting they fit pretty well. You can just make out a moulding flaw that will be sorted later in the build.

post-260-0-15845900-1452438392_thumb.jpg

Port side opening for camer has been opened up - using the Alley Cat etched template as a guide. Once I was happy with position the hole was marked up, before opening out with a 10A scalpel blade, followed by large round file and 1200 grit wet and dry.

post-260-0-62028700-1452438382_thumb.jpg

On the Mk XI there is an additional access hatch on the starboard side. An etched template is provided and once this was lined-up and taped in place I went around the shape with a scriber.

post-260-0-48683900-1452438373_thumb.jpg

Prepped fuselage halves:

post-260-0-45228600-1452438355_thumb.jpg

Wasn't looking forward to the camera ports in the belly - but once again Alley Cat to the rescue with etched templates that make positioning easy - as long as you take a little time. These were, once again, opened out with a scalpel blade followed by file and wet and dry.

post-260-0-23517100-1452438347_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-82244500-1452438338_thumb.jpg

OK - so now we're at a stage where I can make a start on the cockpits for this and the parallel Mk IXc.

Have fun!

Iain

Neat job on the camera windows Iain. Does the Alleycat conversion provide the cameras or do you need to scratch build them?

Cheers.

(BTW, very nice blue Spit Andy.)

There are no cameras provided in the conversion set. The are several very thick clear resin ports and bezels. If you use the ports as is,I don't think you would be able to see any cameras inside. Here's a couple pics of my build to give you an idea.

1f64ca84-4e70-4648-8fdf-a9ebfec43c5f.jpg

049674b7-27cb-41bc-9ec3-151c3539e882.jpg

Carl