Meng Me 163B WIP - Weathering begins

tbell

Well, it's been almost a year since I made any progress on this one, but it is finally back on the bench. Primed and painted, now it's time for the airframe stencils and weathering:

IMG_1481_zpsxq4kmhb0.jpg

IMG_1451_zpsmbc2zkut.jpg

I decided to do W Nr 191454 "Yellow 11" of JG400, which was captured by the British and displayed in Hyde Park, London after the war in September 1945. As in most late war Luftwaffe camouflage colour discussions, there is no definitive answer as to the precise colours. Some have interpreted this particular airframe as being in RLM 74/75/75, while others peg it as 81/82/76. I chose the former simply due to aesthetic appeal.

All the major markings are painted on using stencils cut with my Silhouette Portrait cutter, based on the decals that came with Meng Air Modeller magazine issue #53.The 74/75/76 are Gunze, with the other colours being Tamiya mixes.

IMG_1472_zps7nzeyihq.jpg

IMG_1469_zps7ngmimp1.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tbell

What clinical precision Tony. Those markings are perfect. The outlines look completely uniform on my monitor. No mean feat when they are so fine. Great job.

Additionally, I'm blown away by the apparent finesse and delicacy of your airbrush work. Although the white crosses are totally opaque there is no sign of any edges to the paintwork. Tremendous stuff. I'd say this is an abject lesson in how to apply and use paint masks. Even more impressive since they are home made.

Thanks for bringing us up to speed on your little rocket.

I've started in with a bit of weathering now.

IMG_1510_zpsfwoguc8x.jpg

After a light gloss coat of Tamiya X22 clear gloss, I appled MiG "Neutral Wash" (now my favourite pre-mixed wash) to the panel lines. The nice thing about this stuff is that it can be tidied up with paper towel and/or cotton buds, eithr dry or moistened with enamel thinner.

IMG_1501_zpshck2jejk.jpg

Next was airbrushing a highly (and I mean highly) diluted mix of Tamiya Rubber Black and NATO Brown along the panel lines. This consists of about 9 parts pure rubbing alcohol and 1 part paint.

IMG_1495_zpshg7iyquh.jpg

A coat of Alclad clear flat, followed by chipping with a silver coloured pencil was next.

IMG_1522_zpscnsfctno.jpg

IMG_1519_zpsgaqlbehu.jpg

The next stages will include dulling down the chips with more Alclad clear flat, followed by more coloured pencil chipping, and then some fluids leaking and seeping on the lower fuselage.

I stall also have to do a bunch of fiddly things like painting the inside of the canopy frame, paint abrasion on the landing skid, muck and dirt on the wheels, etc. etc.

As always, any suggestions and/or constructive criticism would be most welcome, especially at this stage when I can do something about it!

Cheers,

Tony