KH P51H????

Jack

I've got the Air Force Legends book on the P51 lightweight fighters the F,G,H and J, I wanted the book to follow up on just what happened with the development of the Mustang. I would urge my fellow modellers to instead of buying another kit for the attic to buy and read a bit more about the aircraft they're interested in. Rather than dismiss what you think you don't like you will come to appreciate the development of aircraft. After reading about the 'H' I was hooked.

Graham

Also it's worth remembering that these 'light' fighters would have appeared during the war but for the fact that there wasn't the time to redesign during the conflict. The other comparable aircraft that this happened to was the Sea fury which was a lightened Tempest, The Spiteful and to some extent the Bearcat.

I'm not what you would call a Mustang "Nut" but i for one like the P-51H. It had a production run of 555 aircraft, not remarkable by WWII standards but more significant than say, the FR-1 Fireball, AM Mauler, or TBY SeaWolf.

In terms of its scope of re design, it falls somewhere between an F2G and the F8F Bearcat, if you were to consider than an extension of the F6F programme. Several colourful paint schemes were applied to it in ANG service. I think it has more "Legs" than some are willing to give it credit for.

With the progress underway in Douglas GA and South St Paul MN, it's only a matter of time before the F-82 Twin Mustang comes up for consideration.

-d-