F4U-1A as Jolly Rogers VF-17 LA City Limits Chico Freeman

Vandy 1 VX 4

Hello folks 

I like to start on a Tamiya  F4U-1A as Jolly Rogers VF-17 (LA City Limits) flown by Lt. jg Doris ( Chico ) Freeman. This is one of the first F4U-1A's oft the line. So do I paint the belly window in white?

I have Barracuda Cast F4U Corsair Early Engine Upgrade Set and Vector F4U-1 Corsair Cowl Flaps and Engine Upgrade. I need the Barracuda Cast F4U Corsair Early Engine Upgrade Set installed correct?  

I also have the Barracuda Cast wheels and cockpit decals. What else do you recommend I get for my bird. Like seat belts what type? I like to stay away from photo etch!!!!   I have a lot of problems with it over time.  Do I use the Salmon color for the wheel well interior or any where? Or are the wheel wells white? 

Vector Cowl http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/vecvds32011.htm

Barracuda F4U Corsair Early Engine Upgrade Set  http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/barbr32126.htm

Thank you for the help

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Nice choice Danny !IIRC there are a couple of "fabric" seat belt you can use, and are miles ahead of PE belts(which I hate). Defiantly will be watching my friend !.......Harv

Hi Danny,

The window was probably still there on LA City Limits - it wasn't eliminated until BuNo 50066, which was the 2531st Vought-built Corsair.

BTW, Freeman had an earlier Corsair with similar markings.  The first LA City Limits was BuNo 17666, squadron number 20, which shed its ailerons pulling out from a dive; the aircraft recovered safely.  The accident took place 6 September 1943.

Enjoy the model!

Cheers,

Dana

I believe that Freeman flew #34 on the first tour as Butch Davenport's wingman and #7 on the second tour, since it was a somewhat later production aircraft.  I am curious as to when during F4U-1 production the all round cowl flaps were eliminated (not disconnected) and the top flaps replaced by the fixed fairing. Also if there is any way to tell which VF-17 Corsairs were fitted with the 13' 1" propeller.  Was it a retrofit or introduced on the production line?  I would like to model the Tamiya kit as Freeman's #7 Bu.No. 17932, which was not Kepford's #7.  I hope Dana is following this thread.

Regards,

Doug

You don't need to buy an early engine upgrade kit as it is already included in the new -1A kit (parts 7,8, and 9 on fret 'T'). These are the ones you will need on an early -1A.

No salmon on a -1A anywhere, this is an early birdcage phenomenon. Main wheel wells bottom colour (white). Tailwheel bay zinc chromate yellow. The cowl ring (portion of cowl ahead of the cylinders) should also be white or very light grey inside.

Allan

Edited by monkeysee

OK. However, be aware that these decals are circa 2004, now 10+ years old. When originally created, they used a red surround to the national insignia. EC#162 will supply corrected insignias (surround in blue) from VF-17's second tour dated the early part of 1944. They will include the two victory markings credited on Nov 21, 1944. By now, the red surround long gone...

HTH

Mark Proulx