1:32 Jet Blast Deflector for diorama

hpetiers

hello there!

As this is my first post on this forum, a quick intro might be appropriate for this topic: As builder of mainly modern US navy aircraft I have been confronted for the last few years with the complete lack of carrier deck equipment to make a nice diorama. Especially in the 1:32 scale.

Having been a CAD engineer by profession, I decided to look at a lot of photo's on the internet and try to design a jet blast feflector in CAD myself and have it 3D printed as a test. I figured in the end it would save me a lot of scratch building, and indeed it did. FIrst I ordered in 1:72 scale, but then a person from the US mailed me and asked me if I he can have it in 1:32, and sure he could. 

It cost me quite a few hours to get the mechanism right:

JBD%20scale%201_32%20sideview_zpsiy0pc5t

But after receiving it from Shapeways.com it all paid off:

DSC04107_zps0uonmjmq.jpg

The parts fit nicely together. By the way they are big!:

DSC04117_zpsdddpdpfa.jpg

I decided not to have all features printed because of the cost involved, but some polystyrene parts will be added:

DSC04123_zpsrvdeolpw.jpg

This is how far I got into the build so far.

The gentlemen ordered his print on the shapeways website in te meantime, I will continue this build and make the actuator arms moveable.

For those who are in desperate need of a JBD, I know how you feel. I published my model on shapeways.com

https://www.shapeways.com/product/U9XP8PZ2W/6-jet-blast-deflectors-1-32-scale?li=shop-results&optionId=57204594

This 3D printing will be the future ladies and gentlemen!

regards

Hugo

Now that's what I'm talking about...3D printing is going to change this hobby forever. It's no longer the game for the few...master builders, with extra and unique details that can only be replicated on their one and only model. If one knows CAD skills then sky is the limit. :)

Bravo Sir, what a great start to a carrier diorama. Now, since 3D has solved the biggest dilemma of your project. The only question remains is what jet are you looking to put in front of it? :D

Wow fantastic, what's the surface like, can you see or feel the layers?

What resolution is it printed at? 25 microns, etc?

Welcome to the forum sir, I'm wanting to design some parts and was wondering how long the process takes from emailed design to finished parts?

Thanks,

Ryan

Now that's what I'm talking about...3D printing is going to change this hobby forever. It's no longer the game for the few...master builders, with extra and unique details that can only be replicated on their one and only model. If one knows CAD skills then sky is the limit. :)

Bravo Sir, what a great start to a carrier diorama. Now, since 3D has solved the biggest dilemma of your project. The only question remains is what jet are you looking to put in front of it? :D

That is still a question to be answered youngtiger1! To be completely honest with you, combining this hobby with my busy family life I do not regularly pick up big 1:32 projects, but like I wrote I started it in 1:72 and the 1:32 opportunity crossed my path. Nevertheless I am planning to finish this one and (being able to retract the JBD into the deck) storing it in my hobbyroom during the absence of a plane to put onto, will take not much space at all!

Thinking about it, if this works out then the deck would be crying out for a nice F/A-18 or F-14, wouldn't it? Speaking of which: I once read about a man who built a deck + JBD for his tomcat and that sits now in Tamya's main office in Japan.

While I was at it, I also modelled tie-down points and a carrier shuttle, So I will be set to build this diorama quite easlity.

DSC04104_zpsdu0pyncp.jpg

Hugo

You are correct, but from the results I'm seeing here and on other forums it is truly becoming next generation of modeling. As for your deck...F-14 well look awesome, however as you said it has been done before and you were refering to Masa Narita's build. He is truly a awesome modeler.

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/F14Ddiorama/photo_frame.htm

So, you can go F-18 Legacy or Super Hornet, or if you feel brave and want a challenge to have a one of a kind dio...

http://breakingdefense.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2014/08/X-47B-UCAS-F-18-Hornet-on-USS-Theodore-Roosevelt-17-August-2014-28255-1024x681.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/130514153245-04-drone-flight-0514-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Of course, there is no kit of it in 1/32 yet. I say yet as i hope it will change soon. It will sure be a eye candy in any cabinet. In fact, if it's to large for your then I'll be happy to leand you mine ;) :D

Edited by Youngtiger1

Wow fantastic, what's the surface like, can you see or feel the layers?

What resolution is it printed at? 25 microns, etc?

Welcome to the forum sir, I'm wanting to design some parts and was wondering how long the process takes from emailed design to finished parts?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

the material is in this case Nylon. it is built up in layers of nylon powder (called 'strong and flexible' material by Shapeways), I think around 50 mu, and then bonded together using a laser. The JBD lends itself quite well for this because it has many straight faces, so parallel or with a right angles wrt the printed layers. In the top picture you can see that the main, thick actuator arms have a slight angle in them and there you see some steps in the surface. Nothing that a file or sanding paper cannot dure though!

The bonded powder leaves a bit a grainy texture on the surface, but I think it is not too bad. We will see what it looks like under a layer of paint.

The catapult shuttle has been made of resin (called 'frosted ultra detail'). This material is much more useful (20 mu resolution, very smooth surface) for us modelling folk, but it is a factor 2 more expensive. That would make this print unaffordable for my wallet!

But resin is excellent for smaller stuff: my 3D printed tie-down points have the 5 armed star printed on them and the star is free-hanging. Even in 1:72 scale you can actually wrap a very small tie-down chain around them. I do not think that this can be made with any other molding process, unless you divide it into loose parts.

Once you have a 3D model suitable for 3D printing, you pay Shapeways (3D print service), they will print it and send it in a box to you. My experience is that it usually takes about a week to arrive home. Some web shops take longer to send stuff to me!

regards

Hugo

Hugo,

Magnificent work. Would really like to have this

Are you taking orders

Cheers

Greg

From Downunder

Hi Greg from down under and Bill Cross,

I built what is called I think the Mk7 mod 0/2 for 6 panels (behind catapult #1, 2, 3) and Mk7 mod1 for 4 panels (behind catapult #4), I used Nimitz class carriers as my reference.

Yes I believe also all Forrestal-class carriers had them afer their last outfit. Check for instance:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0768/6635/files/uss_saratoga_cv60_7.jpg?17397133786979735212

I am not sure however when these JBD's were fitted. Checking your own references is here the best thing to do.

As I mentioned I published the model on shapeways.com, you would order via them. They are not as cheap as injection molded kits but this 3D printing industry has 'just' left the reseach stage, but in some cases it still beats the hours of scratch building involved. That is exactly why I only modelled the features that are difficult to scratch build. I have exploded views and dimension drawings available.

here you can find them, along with tie-down points and catapult shuttle:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SFW46DEHV/4-jet-blast-deflectors-1-32-scale?li=shop-results&optionId=57064386

https://www.shapeways.com/product/U9XP8PZ2W/6-jet-blast-deflectors-1-32-scale?li=shop-results&optionId=57204594

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WT4BDY4UU/80-tie-downs-2-shuttles-1-32-scale?li=shop-results&optionId=57064374

and also modelled some other stuff, see shapeways.com and look for Klekotech model aircraft accessories

Two questions:

Were these JBDs used on Vietnam-era carriers?

Where can I purchase one?

Oh, and :post1:

Hi bill,

just stubled upon an article about USS midway, she had this type of JBD's fitted in 1986. So my guess is that in the Vietnam-era probably the carrier of the day did not have this type of JBD's yet.

http://www.midwaysailor.com/midway/history.html

Hugo

I can't remember but wasn't there a stainless steel 1/32 carrier deck launch system being made and sold by somebody. I lost my bookmarks due to a hack and that one didn't make the backup.

Pitzmodels offered several different 32nd scale carrier decks including a catapukt section, but the webshop seems to be down at the moment. I was told they would come back to business, though.

Hugo, impressive stuff here. I certainly will buy some of your parts!