Peenemünde V-2 diorama - 1:35

Iain

Why oil canning? It's a one shot deal. Oil canning is usually a result of repetitive stresses

Most detail views of V-2s (and exhibits I've seen in museums - including Peenemünde) show a 'distressed' skin surface which, I believe, was the result of spot welding used in construction which, when cooled, caused the skin to contract and shrink unevenly - especially near ribs and stringers. That's the effect I'm trying to replicate.

Iain

Just spent another lunch-hour on figures (2 hours total now) - 5 coming together slowly.

If I can get access to the family PC this evening I'll post a photo-update - missile and figures!  :)

LSP? We had this discussion with Ron's build - it's not technically a 'Plane', although it is 'Large Scale' - so that's why it's over here.

I guess if we were LSA - Large Scale 'Aircraft' - then...  ;)

Iain

Some images...

Main Rocket parts:

chA98w.jpg

Taped up whilst drying - fit OK - but needed a little fettling to minimise subsequent clean-up:

g46Mw0.jpg

aHNSTq.jpg

Basic rocket sections assembled and de-seamed. A few bits to clean up - then polish and mask ready to do some surface 'distressing':

QdxJig.jpg

Rocket exhaust - may do some detailing here - have left loose whilst I assembled the rocket halves. Bit of clean-up needed where sprue went across centre:

bAF5P5.jpg

rJvqkC.jpg

Back in a mo...

Iain

And the 5 figures - a mix of master Box and Tristar:

eJ9YQL.jpg

Tristar figure (left) needs some Milliput filler - but they are all coming together slowly.

The Masterbox figures are broken down in such a way as to give a thin appearance to the lower sections of the long coats - but the Tristar figure needed a lot of material removing between hem of coat and his legs - all done with a fresh scalpel blade, followed by a brush over with some MEK to consolidate the surface (I meant to put him on his back to illustrate - but in hurry and wrong figure!):

rhUsAN.jpg

Iain

I had this kit until recently, I rushed out and got it the day it was released but then sold it a few weeks back... I had big plans, but they were never going to happen, just a dream. So on that note I really look forward to seeing yours built, Iain. Sounds like it's going to be everything I wanted to do.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress - the missile comes together...

Fins and rocket exhaust added:

lDrrVD.jpg

Joint faces of upper and lower sections trued up by rubbing in a circular motion on a sheet of 600 grit wet and try, on a flat surface, just like prepping a vacform kit:

Ub568V.jpg

And some of the resulting gaps filled with this rather useful acrylic filler - add to gaps with a cocktail stick, wipe away with damp kitchen towel:

9ahlhT.jpg

Jointing ring bonded to lower section - note internal sprue left in situ to help with strength:

hURkNd.jpg

And assembled missile body:

Zu598U.jpg

Next step - a good polish, some re-instatement of detail - then surface 'distressing' as mentioned earlier in thread.

Have fun!

Iain

• 4 weeks later...