F-4S, VMFA-112, Heater-Ferris Scheme - Final Pics Coming Through...

Marcel111

Steve, fancy running into you over here :D  ... and thx to you and Anthony for the encouragement.

Heater, WOW, just fantastic having you follow this thread! Incredible! If you disagree with the color assessment I posted at the beginning of the thread, just let us know.

The article would be very interesting, just sent you an email.

Cheers,

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thx Misha!

I completed the 6x LAU-10s... after years of planning and finally also execution, these puppies are finally done and I really like the way they turned out. There is a nice pic on p.170 of the Danny Coremans "Uncovering the US Navy Q/F-4B/J/N/S" book showing a VF-33 Phantom with six LAU-10's as shown here, I based much of the appearance of the launchers on that pic.

DSC_0032_zpsfnuyvyt5.jpg

One of the launchers in the Danny Coremans pic features a red partial band, so I replicated that on one of my launchers.

DSC_0031_zpsa16uzd7w.jpg

I lucked out with the weathering. I had made custom stencil decals for the LAU-10s. After applying some staining using Tamiya "oil" weathering, the perimeter of the decals were highlighted by a very faint brown line. I decided to sand off the decals with 4000 wet & dry, fortunately they came off easily and by carrying on the sanding I introduced a very smooth finish that also somehow makes the oil/smoke staining look far more realistic. It also introduced a worn effect to that red band, which I like.

DSC_0034_zpscz7a2nbz.jpg

The exhausts of the Zunis were scratched with rings cut from plastic tube.

DSC_0033_zpsddbngsyg.jpg

The TERs received a lot of attention also, I will cover that in a separate post.

DSC_0030_zpsfibv0i0r.jpg

DSC_0029_zps9jxksmgt.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsspamgnem.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111