Large Scale Tanks

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Jay, normally I'm not really one to get into armour, but this is simply suberb work. Well done!

What do you use for the dark oily stains near the exhausts? These stains look entirely convincing, and might have applications in aviation modelling?

Great stuff mate!

Ango.

Guest LSP_Jay L

Hi Guys;

Cheers Dave! It will annoy you no end to know that I try to build models as well as Frank Mahovolich played hockey and my modellin room is plastered in Leafs greats to provide inspitation!

Thanks for the kind words Ango! The exhausts are easier than you would think, and I stumbled across it by accident. I sprayed the exhausts with Alclad steel first, and then sprayed them with a thin coat of Humbrol 100 ( I think...Damn I never write these things down, so no two of my models are the same :( ) or whichever Humbrol colour is the rusty one. Then to finish it off I brushed on some CMK dark rust then light rust weathering powders. The paint must not have been quite dry, or I may have brushed too vigourously, but I managed to take off some of the Humbrol to reveal just enough Alclad underneath. It can be done on puropse as well, as I did it with the second exhaust :ph34r:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Guest LSP_Jay L

A-Ha! when I go back and actually read what your post says it makes perfect sense. Sorry mate, I'm a bit of an idiot sometimes.

It's very simple. Gunze Sangyo oil. unshaken and use the clear bit first then put some of the dark goopy **** in the middle. Works a charm.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Jay, this is one I started a while ago- the Tamiya kit with some mods,1/35th. Still needs some paint,mud and pastels.

FU#%KING computers!!!!!

. I have to figure out how to resize and get kbs out of pixels, some type of math or some damn thing. I'll try again later.

Glad to see there are plenty of other tank/military modelling fans here! Some very impressive work. The KV-1 looks like it is progressing very well.

Though planes are my main interest, tanks are a close second (mainly 1/35 and 1/72, but a few 1/16 and 1/144) along with ships in various scales.

Here are some of my recently completed 1/35 military models:

US M5A1 Stuart light tank:

m5a1_3.jpg

m5a1_4.jpg

US M3 Lee medium tank:

lee_1.jpg

Polish Ford TFC 1920s armoured car:

fordtc_1.jpg

French Hotchkiss 39 light tank:

h39_1.jpg

Italian Fiat 3000 1920s/1930s light tank (based on the French WW1 FT-17)

fiat3k1.jpg

I also have a KV-1 (built from the Eastern Express kit; 1942 model with cast turret), which is in a winter whitewash colour scheme. I'd also like to build an earlier type, welded turret KV-1 but will probably buy the newer Trumpeter kit for this.

My main armour modelling interests are British vehicles along with Soviet, Eastern European and other less well-known armies such as France and Italy, but I also build US and German vehicles as well as the occasional modern/post-war vehicle. I recently completed a Panther Ausf. A and am currently working on a French Panhard 178 armoured car and an M113 US APC.