WNW Junkers J.1

DonH

• 1 month later...

So, back at the bench for a short time.

A lot has happened, but it may not look like it. Having glued the fuselage together, I spent some time getting rid of the seams. I am really pleased with the results, although a coat of primer will show up any bits I have missed. I had great fun using a new tool (thin sanding sticks) and a new technique (black marker pen to highlight seams). I am sure you are all familiar, but when you actually use these things for the first time, there is a minor "wow" moment.

All the major assemblies are now glued together but I will concentrate on the fuselage and lower wing stub first. That way, I can finish this up, while firstling along with the wings in the background.

I drilled out the exhaust stack and painted it Mr Hobby Super Metallic Steel, then misted a thin coat of Tamiya Hull Red. A dark wash and a couple of coats of matt varnish and I was very pleased with the result. If I get something that looks to me like something close to the standard on this forum, I am grinning for hours.

zuz7VD1.jpg?1

It took me a long time to get the turtle deck in place and fitting to my liking. It's OK now but you can see the Mr Surfacer trying to "hide" a few minor gaps.

ZqQf7Vd.jpg?1

The engine bay doors took some careful dry fitting and trimming. Yep, I am going to close them up and I don't think they were really designed to be closed. There is a lot of "interference fits" between the engine and the left side door. All done now and nothing that a careful application of Tamiya Extra Thin won't solve.

ioVRWsr.jpg

v7dQv3b.jpg

Next steps: finish off the turtle deck joints, glue the doors in place and then into primer.

I am loving this build. So far, it fits really well.

• 4 weeks later...

Don

Super update. You're well underway to taming this beast. As a matter of fact i was just going through the wnw manual for the J1 online!

The exhaust stack looks very nicely weathered. One quick and painless trick that will enhance it is for you to get a lead pencil is highlight the edge of the exhaust stack's exhaust, ie where you drilled them out. It will give them a metallic sheen that changes depending on what angle you look at them. Going through the manual mentally i also sort of favored the closed engine cowlings for some reason... 

Looking forward to your updates!

Karim

• 5 months later...

So, the glacier has moved a fraction and I have actually done some more work on this build. Fuselage is done, I just need to fit the MG housing. The wings are painted up and are awaiting decals.

I made the mistake of test fitting the lower wings. The fit is so tight, they ain't coming off again! That is after I had removed a load of material on the wing stubs to get them to fit.

Which brings me to my major gripe about this kit. It is beautifully moulded, it would just be nice if the parts fit together without having to remove significant amounts of material from the locating points. I have had to drill out almost very hole and reduce the thickness of the wing stubs. I guess if you want to teach an engineering student about interference fits and tolerance build up, all you need to do is give them one of these kits and tell them to build it. I agree that paint thickness has a part to play, but this goes way beyond that. The advantage is that a lot of parts are not glued in place, there is just no need for it.

Anyway, I am still enjoying this kit very much and, although it is not my best work, I am pleased with progress so far.

Pics:

pSB5qny.jpg?1

mp8zpeS.jpg?1

rNXyL2v.jpg?1

mhg5f6U.jpg?1

Hey Don,

Im checking in on your sweet looking build here.  The progress looks great so far.   I recall us chatting about this recently!   Suffering a bit of jet lag at the moment and killing some time at 1:17am.  Lol.   

Keep up the the fantastic work and great to see you last Friday.  Looks like you had a productive weekend.  

Cheers,

Troy.  

Thanks Troy, it was good to meet up and talk about plastic over a beer!

Yep, the weekend was very productive, decals are now on and final semi-gloss coat is on.

Now all I have to do is figure out how I am going to assemble the top wing. Had a quick go at it and failed miserably.

• 4 months later...

Stick a fork in it, I'm calling this done.

Actually, it was done some time ago but I have been lax in posting any photos. So, here it is in all it's glory...

56p89nO.jpg

ODf24P1.jpg

1qg1cbZ.jpg

As you can see, my photo set up is not configured for large planes:

DSfGstS.jpg

Did some messing around with B&W, because it is a WWI plane after all...

usulj6H.jpg

XIGBdpZ.jpg

That's it. I am not putting this into RFI because it does not bear close inspection!