waroff

following a question of JP Chagnon about the Rafale A , 1/20 scale, "desk model".
http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=45581&p=657361

a desk model had no many pieces as a kit.
At this scale, the fuselage is in fiberglass. the wings and the details as the fin, wing tips, armament, exhaust... are resin cast. The hood is in pmma .
there is no landing gear. It is possible to make a landing gear, it must be in metal (brass casting or machined metal, not white metal) because of the weight and so it will be more expensive.
A desk model must be handled with ease, no with the same care that a model kit
Some pictures, the master, for presentation, the differents pieces are not cemented.
only assembled by pins, (brass tube and rods)
finishing: polyurethane paint and varnish..
Ki 84 is 1/48 scale.

rafale11.jpg

rafale12.jpg

rafale13.jpg

rafale14.jpg

rafale15.jpg

A desk model is not comparable with a model kit despite the accurate shapes, and a thin paint.
If you want open a door or hatch into the fuselage, you must use a chain saw. :BANGHEAD2:
The fuselage is built in two horizontal halves then assembled with fiberglass.
In case there will have a landing gear or if you want make it, I must install supports in the mold of low fuselage before stratification.

For the landing gear, I could ask to the foundry what would be the price for a brass casting.

Waroff

Edited by waroff

Salut,

when I made the master, I had a contract to make a 1/30 model with a desk model factory which gave me the 3 views drawings. The AMD communications director gave me the stations and some others informations.

I met G2M at Istres several time to show him this model during the construction.

Edited by waroff